What are you canning now?

Happy Chooks---thank you for sharing the recipe! I hope all goes well with your son's first day of high school, and with your family in the hospital. Hopefully the stress dissipates soon for you. It's been a bad fruit year where I'm at. No peaches (due to freezing), lots of cherry losses too. You're lucky to have so much of the yummy kind!

Today I'm canning green beans. Didn't grow them, but got them for $2/lb, and they are grown by a local farm who uses min sprays and chemicals. About as good as I can get around here. I've got 6 1/2 lbs of them, so hopefully I can put away a few quarts! I've also gotta do something with all of this zucchini. I need to buy a dehydrator that will work with zucchini. I'd use my car as the solar dehydrator, but I think the zucchini is too wet. I need a good hot day and it might work. It's cold and rainy currently :(

Happy Chooks---thank you for sharing the recipe! I hope all goes well with your son's first day of high school, and with your family in the hospital. Hopefully the stress dissipates soon for you. It's been a bad fruit year where I'm at. No peaches (due to freezing), lots of cherry losses too. You're lucky to have so much of the yummy kind!

Today I'm canning green beans. Didn't grow them, but got them for $2/lb, and they are grown by a local farm who uses min sprays and chemicals. About as good as I can get around here. I've got 6 1/2 lbs of them, so hopefully I can put away a few quarts! I've also gotta do something with all of this zucchini. I need to buy a dehydrator that will work with zucchini. I'd use my car as the solar dehydrator, but I think the zucchini is too wet. I need a good hot day and it might work. It's cold and rainy currently :(
Try the oven on its lowest temperature, that is what my neighbor does.

Thank you.

As for your zucchini, have you ever made zucchini bread? I make it and freeze it, my kids love it. It's not healthy though, lots of oil and sugar.

I also found this recipe for double chocolate zucchini muffins, which I'm going to try:
http://www.fortheloveofcooking.net/...e-zucchini-muffins.html#.U8KnNlKEZrY.facebook

Thank you.

As for your zucchini, have you ever made zucchini bread? I make it and freeze it, my kids love it. It's not healthy though, lots of oil and sugar.

I also found this recipe for double chocolate zucchini muffins, which I'm going to try:
http://www.fortheloveofcooking.net/...e-zucchini-muffins.html#.U8KnNlKEZrY.facebook
I looooove zucchini bread. I haven't made it since we had to go gluten free. I think I could do it by combining a few flour types. And that recipe looks amaaaaazing. I think I might have to try that tonight. Thanks for sharing!

Try the oven on its lowest temperature, that is what my neighbor does.
My oven lowest temp is 170. No pilot light :( I tried and it turned cooked them. My mom's got an oven that has a constantly lit pilot light, and I am thinking I might just cut them up ahead of time and hijack her oven for a day.

13 more jelly jars of dill relish, and I am done I think. Now onto the tomatoes, the few that I have so far. As soon as I get the tomatoes done I have a couple dozen ears of corn to get off the cob and into the freezer, I would can them but Hubby informed me he won't eat canned corn, so phewy on him, I guess I will freeze it, but he has to cut it off the cob for me.
lol.png

So far I have done 70qt green beans,28qt dill pickles, About 100 pts of jam and jelly, 10 pts of peas (froze and dehydrated the rest), froze 20qt corn, froze 7qt zucchini 17 pts of cherry pie filling, 1 gallon apple juice and 11qt whole tomatoes(just got started on them. Still need to do tomatoes, pears, peaches and try watermelon jam and what ever else I decide to try. Wish I had more of some stuff but with 4 kids under12 ( my youngest is 1) I probably wouldn't have time to do it.

So far I have done 70qt green beans,28qt dill pickles, About 100 pts of jam and jelly, 10 pts of peas (froze and dehydrated the rest), froze 20qt corn, froze 7qt zucchini 17 pts of cherry pie filling, 1 gallon apple juice and 11qt whole tomatoes(just got started on them. Still need to do tomatoes, pears, peaches and try watermelon jam and what ever else I decide to try. Wish I had more of some stuff but with 4 kids under12 ( my youngest is 1) I probably wouldn't have time to do it.

WOW. That is awesome !

Quote:
Holy smokes! That's impressive. I've got a lot of canning to do to get to where I want to be for fall/winter. NO ONE has tomatoes yet where I'm at. I've been calling around to the local farms. Mine are green as green can be, and the only ones starting to turn rosy have bites out of them already.

Back
Top Bottom