What are you canning now?

"Only" $2 each?  How much are regular canning jars there?  Here, they usually sell for $8-$10 for a case of 12 with rings and lids

Well priced them today at Harris scarf and 4 x 1 litre bottles (think that's 2 pints?) were $12.95. And that wasn't even ball brand.

And Woolworths have ball jars. 8oz $4 each, 16oz $5 each and 32oz $6 each

Last edited:
I never bite my tongue on that one. I'll flat out tell them not to throw the jars away. I even add some incentive by saying if you bring the jars back I'll put more goodies in it.

Same thing with eggs and cartons. If family wants free eggs, they have to return cartons.

You know how when you give canned goods as a gift and you have to bite your tongue not to say, "Don't throw the jar out!"
So many people have no idea.

@WYNot you beat me to it, lol!
My family and friends know that if the jar does not come back they don't get anything else. I trained 'em well! My mom has even started to return 2 for 1. I gave her a jar of rhubarb juice to try and I got 2 jars back from her. I think she liked it!

You know how when you give canned goods as a gift and you have to bite your tongue not to say, "Don't throw the jar out!"
So many people have no idea.

Went to my son's house and found an animal had torn into their trash overnight. I was picking it all up and found a jar of my sweet corn, half used, tossed in the trash...jar, corn and all. I was just breathless over that kind of waste....
rant.gif
That sweet corn is my carefully hoarded stash...my precious!!!
duc.gif
Not to mention the JAR!!! Who in the world throws out a perfectly good canning jar????????
smack.gif

Sounds like a "Gibbsing" is in order. :lol:

Went to my son's house and found an animal had torn into their trash overnight.  I was picking it all up and found a jar of my sweet corn, half used, tossed in the trash...jar, corn and all.  I was just breathless over that kind of waste....  :rant That sweet corn is my carefully hoarded stash...my precious!!!  :duc Not to mention the JAR!!!  Who in the world throws out a perfectly good canning jar????????  :smack   

Went to my son's house and found an animal had torn into their trash overnight.  I was picking it all up and found a jar of my sweet corn, half used, tossed in the trash...jar, corn and all.  I was just breathless over that kind of waste....  :rant That sweet corn is my carefully hoarded stash...my precious!!!  :duc Not to mention the JAR!!!  Who in the world throws out a perfectly good canning jar????????  :smack   

I sell jams at a farmers market and encourage my customers to return the jars to me. When they've returned 10 jars, they get a free jar of jelly. Not really profitable for me. but it encourages they to buy more.

And family & friends know that if they want more, they have to return the jars!!

Last edited:
Going to brag a little bit. I've been using Pomona Pectin in more & more of the jams & jellies I sell at a farmers market. They folks at Pomona are so helpful in helping me convert my recipes to Pomona. In one email to them, I mentioned that I sell my jams & jellies. I got a response asking me if I wanted to be interviewed for their monthly newsletter. Of course, I said yes. The article came out thhis month. Here's a link:

http://www.pomonapectin.com/jam-notes/jam-spot-jos-jellies-like-hot/

Back
Top Bottom