What are you canning now?

I appreciated the tip on here that Asian Pears can nicely and make good pear butter. I looked up the official recommendations and learned (just in time!) that they do need some added acid to prevent botulism growth. (I actually learned a lot about botulism and that water bath canning alone can't kill botulism spores even at recommended processing times, which are more for destroying other bacteria, the protection against botulism is that it can't grow in acidic conditions. I used citric acid to be safe.) Anyway, left to right is pear butter, chopped pears in light syrup, and sliced pears in light syrup. The first batch I cut too small and by the end of processing it's almost sauce, but should taste good.

Next up, apples!! From left, Asian Pear & Apple butter (in smaller jars) came out AMAZING, it was made by cooking down and further seasoning the Asian Pear & Apple sauce, second from left. Proud to say up until then I was using all my own crops from my tiny yard! But now I've taken on a few bags of apples from my parents' three established trees across town. The pale applesauce second from right is a red apple, possibly Stayman's Winesap? I'm still researching likely varieties that would have been planted between 1912 when the house was built and 1964 when my grandparents moved in. Last batch, on right, is a stripey variety I'm pretty sure is Gravenstein. There's also a blushed green apple, maybe a Pippin? That's still ripening.

Next I'm going to make some mixed variety applesauce with added plums (still got a couple quarts in the freezer) and some pie filling. We'll see then if there are still apples on the tree or if it's time for the main crop of figs! :-D

Butters are safe to can. I have made apple, peach and pear butter, not really something I will do again on the apple or pear butter. too much spice for me, i'll just stick with applesauce. The peach was pretty good, but I like it with rum or southern comfort in it best. We call it Peach Comfort and it is the bomb on ice-cream.

It's always nice to try new recipes. If things don't work out at least we've learned what we like and don't like. I won't make goose berry jam again. It's to tart even for DW. Did you know we don't all have the same tastes in foods, due to difference in taste buds.
Yes, birds eat grapes....cover them!

For mice in the garden...I use a cottage cheese container...cut a I inch hole in the lid....place TomCat bait in the container and place it on its side where the mice are frequenting. You can drape some straw or a weed across it . This bait trap keeps the cat, chickens, and dog from getting into the bait. I make the hole in the lid a little bigger for the voles and field mice.
Thanks, I'll give that a shot. Much less trouble than getting a cat.

Today I put up Jalapeno relish and salad peppers...hubby was a great help cutting the jalapenos for me.

Then as I was cleaning up the kitchen, I thought those are such essential tools of the canning process. Wonder what some of you consider your go to tools.

Besides the measuring cups, water bath pot, strainers these are my go to tools....some old...some new.
I can turn any big pot into a water bath with the flat bottom tray, The green lid magnet for pulling lids out of the hot water save my fingers. A thermometer for accuracy on the 200 degree temps for boiling, The jar funnels are handy...the old one has slotted sieves and a funnel and the red one lets me see the fill level thru the clear section on the bottom. My japanese strainer for filling jars and my Grandmother"s jar packer and jar lifter.

Today I put up Jalapeno relish and salad peppers...hubby was a great help cutting the jalapenos for me.

Then as I was cleaning up the kitchen, I thought those are such essential tools of the canning process. Wonder what some of you consider your go to tools.

Besides the measuring cups, water bath pot, strainers these are my go to tools....some old...some new.
I can turn any big pot into a water bath with the flat bottom tray, The green lid magnet for pulling lids out of the hot water save my fingers. A thermometer for accuracy on the 200 degree temps for boiling, The jar funnels are handy...the old one has slotted sieves and a funnel and the red one lets me see the fill level thru the clear section on the bottom. My japanese strainer for filling jars and my Grandmother"s jar packer and jar lifter.

I don't have nearly that much. I do use the "spider" for straining berries when cleaning them . The small holes are even small enough to catch currants. I did switch my bamboo handled one for a stainless steel. My bamboo spider rusted. While it may be safe I'm opting for dishwasher safe stuff. Depending on where you check temps can range from 130 - 170*. There is conflicting info on how hot a dishwasher gets.

I like the clear bottom funnel. Mine doesn't have that.

I use long tongs to retrieve lids.

I don't usually check the temp on water bath canning. I figured it must be hot enough since it's boiling over and I do increase the time a bit just to be on the safe side.

I have a thermometer for jams and jellies but I have a hard time getting them to 220*. I can get them close. I wonder do are all stoves equal ? How did our ancestors do this with a wood stove. I reckon lots of folks died of food poison.

Cheating husband? "here eat this". "Oops he died, must have been a bad batch".
lau.gif

Last edited:
I've just been given a big bag of "lemonade" lemons. Never had them before, apparently they are a lot sweeter than lemons. Has anyone tried something like lemon butter with them? Wondering if I'll need to reduce the sugar?

Today I canned apple pie filling for the first time. Got almost 7 quarts from this recipe: http://www.simplycanning.com/canning-apple-pie-filling.html
It was my first time using Clear Jel, which I had trouble finding at the grocery store and bought a pound of on Amazon. It worked really well and I will absolutely make more. I did cut the sugar by a cup, add 1/4 cup molasses, and nearly triple the spices, which are super mild as written.

I've just been given a big bag of "lemonade" lemons. Never had them before, apparently they are a lot sweeter than lemons. Has anyone tried something like lemon butter with them? Wondering if I'll need to reduce the sugar?
You might try some Lemon Curd. These may not be "lemons" but Meyers lemons which are a cross and not as acidic as regular lemon.

the Meyer lemon, is a citrus fruit native to China thought to be a cross between a true lemon and either a mandarin or common orange.

They have a slightly rounder shape than a true lemon. Still good mind you but not for the acid needed in canning.

In either case you are lucky to have them given to you. Count your blessings.

You might try some Lemon Curd. These may not be "lemons" but Meyers lemons which are a cross and not as acidic as regular lemon. [COLOR=252525] the Meyer lemon, is a [/COLOR]citrus [COLOR=252525] fruit native to [/COLOR]China [COLOR=252525] thought to be a cross between a true [/COLOR]lemon [COLOR=252525] and either a [/COLOR]mandarin [COLOR=252525] or common [/COLOR]orange [COLOR=252525].[/COLOR] [COLOR=252525]They have a slightly rounder shape than a true lemon. Still good mind you but not for the acid needed in canning. [/COLOR] [COLOR=252525]In either case you are lucky to have them given to you. Count your blessings. [/COLOR]
I did a Google and lemon curd and lemon butter seem to be the same thing, just a different name over here. Yes these are definatly not as acid as a lemon. I tasted one yesterday and you can eat them like an orange, but they do still have a bit too much sour for me. I couldn't eat a wedge of regular lemon though. I think it's quite common here as I had heard of a lemonade tree before this http://www.daleysfruit.com.au/buy/lemonade-tree.htm I also found lemon butter/curd its not really able to be bottled long term. That surprises me because you always see it for sale at school fetes but nobody ever puts a refrigerate and use within 2 weeks sticker on it.

Last edited:

It looks like a few varieties are marketed as lemonade trees: http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions/1830314/lemonade-tree-or-meyers-lemon-tree

I'm in California in an area with a fair amount of fog and Meyer Lemons grow extremely well here. A few months ago I cleared my lemon bush and got over 3 quarts of juice! I recommend freezing the juice a cup at a time, or even in ice cube trays to drop one or two in a pitcher of water. It's not acidic enough for providing acid in canning recipes, but still could provide good flavor for fruits already acidic enough to can, like tart apples and plums. My perfect lemonade recipe with Meyer Lemons is 1 cup juice, 1/2 cup sugar, and 4 cups water. It's not too sweet and strong enough for plenty of ice. If that seems about right for your "lemonade" lemons you can search for "Meyer Lemon" recipes, or even adjust the sugar down if yours are sweeter. I've used this recipe with Meyer lemons, and everyone loved it: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/lemon-bars-recipe.html

It looks like a few varieties are marketed as lemonade trees: http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions/1830314/lemonade-tree-or-meyers-lemon-tree

I'm in California in an area with a fair amount of fog and Meyer Lemons grow extremely well here. A few months ago I cleared my lemon bush and got over 3 quarts of juice! I recommend freezing the juice a cup at a time, or even in ice cube trays to drop one or two in a pitcher of water. It's not acidic enough for providing acid in canning recipes, but still could provide good flavor for fruits already acidic enough to can, like tart apples and plums. My perfect lemonade recipe with Meyer Lemons is 1 cup juice, 1/2 cup sugar, and 4 cups water. It's not too sweet and strong enough for plenty of ice. If that seems about right for your "lemonade" lemons you can search for "Meyer Lemon" recipes, or even adjust the sugar down if yours are sweeter. I've used this recipe with Meyer lemons, and everyone loved it: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/lemon-bars-recipe.html

That's a good idea. I think I'll drag my juicer out and juice the lot and freeze it. then I can make lots of different things over the next few months.

I'll freeze some 1 cup batches ready to make the drink. Will be nice when summer hits!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom