What are you canning now?

Quote:
Last time I did use gloves...and I guess it worked its way into the rubber. I was washing the window blinds and could not figure out why my hands burned so badly. So, do not down grade the gloves...just throw them out!
I hope you feel better. Alcohol helps. It removes the capsaicin- or if you drink enough of it, it it removes the effort to care.
wink.png

good luck!

Quote:
Try rubbing your hands in pure bleach, rinse well and rinse again with white vinegar. You may have to do that 2 or 3 times, but it worked for me the last time I got into Jalapenos!

Quote:
Try rubbing your hands in pure bleach, rinse well and rinse again with white vinegar. You may have to do that 2 or 3 times, but it worked for me the last time I got into Jalapenos!

Soak your hands in a mixture of milk and sugar. I did that and it "helps" but doesn't cure the burn.

24 - 4oz jars of crabapple butter
5 pints of salsa
6 pints of salsa verde
4 quarts +1 pint of pickled green cherry tomatoes

Except for some apples and pumpkins I am done with everything from my own garden! I am sure I will figure out some other stuff to can now that I have the canning bug.
big_smile.png

Quote:

Soak your hands in a mixture of milk and sugar. I did that and it "helps" but doesn't cure the burn.

If that doesn't help enough, rinse your hands with a solution of 50/50 water/bleach. Bleach will help kill the heat in the capsaicin. You may have to use it 2-3 times.

ETA: Ooopsss....I just realized TipsyDog had already suggested bleach. LOL

Last edited:
And NEVER, NEVER rub your eyes with hands that have handled these peppers! A friend of mine's husband had been cutting and chopping peppers for salsa. He washed his hands (apparently not well enough) and went to the bathroom. Needless to say he was 'on fire' for quite some time. We all laugh about it now, but it wasn't too funny to him at the time. This does not come off your hands in one washing, and neutralizing with vinegar is a good idea.

When we were newly married I did the same thing with some cayenne peppers...I had to sleep with my hands in two bowls of ice water! Now I hear if you go to the ER there is something they can give you to stop the burning. It is good to know about the bleach/water/vinegar thing though!

I have a small bar of Goat Milk Soap, the lady who gave it to me said it takes the onion scent off your hands and I wash after I chopped my jalapenos and it takes the burn away. I can't think of what she called it though

GPN

Today did more maple vanilla apple butter, caramel apple jam and more tomatoes. It's been such a good season
smile.png
BTW milk helps if you get pepper juice in your eyes. I had to use it earlier this year
roll.png

The problem with the pepper juice is it soaks into the skin. I soak my hands in a bowl of Dawn to cut the oil, then rinse with white vinegar and leave it. I did some pepper sauce today too. Cayenne and Jalapeno...HOT as blazes!!! My hands WERE burning. I don't use gloves either
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom