What are you canning now?

Quote:
Nice pic! I like the red and orange peppers with the green leaves! Makes my mouth water...sounds like everyone's peppers did well this year except mine! I had NOT A ONE jalapeno pepper! Usually I have a bushel from just one plant so I dont know what went wrong...the only plant that did well was hot banana...my least favorite!

Alpine farm...what is a serviceberry? do they only grow in the south and west? Terri O

Quote:
Can you tell me more about the pepper mustard. If possible post the recipe I picked a very large basket of peppers - all varieties this weekend and need to figure out something to do with them

Kim - My signature jam is a Jalapeno/Apricot but would love the recipe for your pepper jam to may be use up some of my peppers.

Sandee

Yesterday I processed 12 lbs of Fuji Apples into 17 1/2pint and 2 pints of apple sauce. Also, used up 12 cups of apples and did 7 pints of Apple pie filling. So glad that we have a apple peeler that also slices. Have one more tree to pick so will be looking for other recipes to add some variety to the pantry.

Sandee

Quote:
Can you tell me more about the pepper mustard. If possible post the recipe I picked a very large basket of peppers - all varieties this weekend and need to figure out something to do with them

Kim - My signature jam is a Jalapeno/Apricot but would love the recipe for your pepper jam to may be use up some of my peppers.

Sandee

Sandee - it's posted here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=2651523#p2651523 - the recipe calls for 2 pkgs powdered pectin, which is what I always used for many years. However, I decided to try it with only 1 box for the last 3 batches, it worked perfectly on all of them.

We finally, finally got the tomato harvest in. It's been so cool here in Colorado that they were very late to ripen and I'd begun to wonder if we were even going to get a tomato harvest before frost. So I spent the weekend processing my tomatoes into sauce which then became spaghetti sauce which I have been canning now for two days. I'm also cleaning out the freezer and canning some chicken and turkey.

Just finished working up two bushels of apples, Golden Delicious and Jonathans, into applesauce and apple butter. I chunked them without coring or peeling, stewed them in big pots with just a couple cups of water to start the cooking. When cooked down (about 30 minutes), I put them through a Foley food mill to separate the seeds, peels, cores, from the good pulp. (waste goes to the hens in small amounts for treats) For the applesauce, I added brown sugar and cinnamon until I had a taste we all liked and a rich color. I cooked this for hours in a large electric roaster (by the way, I did this process twice on separate days to work through all the apples), until it reached a thickness that didn't run juice when spooned onto a plate. I canned the applesauce at this stage in pints, but I continued cooking one batch after adding additional brown sugar, cinnamon, and cloves (to taste) down to a richness that I judged was "apple butter." This canning was finished yesterday--rich dark brown, stands on toast, doesn't sink in all watery. Lots of work, but yum! Last night I made a chocolate cake mix, using strong coffee in place of water (1 cup rather than 1 1/2), using our chicken's large brown eggs, and adding 1/2 pint applesauce to the mix. Baked in a round Bundt pan. Most flavorful, moist, and tender chocolate cake ever. Good use of our just-canned applesauce:) ~G

Quote:

Sandee

The pepper mustard recipe is on this thread. I made a batch recently and put it in pint jars. My DH and I agreed that we had to make a 2nd batch for gifting and I used 1/2 pint jars. I got 23 jars to gift
smile.png

I forgot who posted it...but bless you! We love it!

Hot pepper mustard

36 hot banana peppers (or hot pepper of choice)
1 qt generic mustard
1 qt vinegar (I used ACV)
5 cups sugar
1 tsp salt
3/4 cup clearjel cook type (I used equal parts cornstarch and water)

I also added crushed garlic

seed peppers (I will add....WEAR GLOVES!)
put 1/2 of the peppers and 1/2 of the vinegar into the blender or food processor.
puree together and transfer to pot.
repeat with other 1/2 of peps and vinegar.
add mustard, sugar and salt to pot.
bring to boil over high heat, stirring...it will stick.
mix clearjel with water to make a thin paste. stir into mustard mixture.
boil hard for 2 min.
ladle into hot jars...10 min in water bath

APPLE RHUBARB JAM
Adapted from Allrecipes.com
3 C. diced rhubarb
3 C. diced peeled apples
2 C. white sugar*
1/2 C. water
1 T. ground cinnamon
½ t. freshly ground nutmeg
1 (2 ounce) package dry pectin

*I used the vanilla scented sugar that I use to store my vanilla beans, which added a nice subtle flavor.

In a large saucepan mix together the rhubarb, apples, sugar, water and cinnamon. Bring to a boil, then cook over medium heat for 20 minutes or until the fruit is soft. Stir in the pectin and boil for 5 minutes.

Ladle into sterile jars, wipe rims with a clean cloth or paper towel, and seal with new lids. Process in a bath of simmering water for at least 10 minutes, or as recommended by your local extension if you are at a high altitude. Store unopened jars in a cool dark place. Refrigerate jam after opening.

(makes about 6 cups)

applesauce is in the making...will get canned tmw...

should be about 10 pints...

already made fried apples...of course...half of them got eaten before they made it to the canner....lol
DH had them on ice cream one night and the next morning made pancakes...guess what the topping was...lol

considering our apple tree didnt do so hot this year i would say its not too bad

Back
Top Bottom