What are you canning now?

Karen...whats a good concord grape jelly recipe! I have these grapes I bought yesterday and the two recipes I have are very conflicting:(

Do I have to skin the grapes in order to cook if they are going through a mill???

Last edited:
This is what I do. Rinse, pull grapes off, and put in large pot. Put enough water to just barely (top row half in water) cover them and boil for a few minutes. Turn stover off and let cool for over an hour....no need to scald yourself
wink.png
. Ladle into food mill (medium disk works well). Mill grapes.....the more you have in the mill the easier it is to turn. The seeds get caught otherwise. I do like 3-4 ladle fulls, mill, dump seeds, repeat. I measure out 5 cups and put it in freezer bags until I'm ready to make jelly. Milling it gives it soooooooo much more flavor it's a pain that pays off.

Concord Grape Jelly
5 cups juice
6 cups of sugar
1 box of pectin

Quote:
I do a grape butter which is heavenly.

6 cups of concord grapes
6 cups of sugar
put in large kettle and let come to low boil. for 20 min, stiring to keep from sticking.
Grapes will pop and juice will begin to seep from the grapes.
Put through a food mill or sieve.Ladel into hot jars and seal water bath 10 min.

So I haven't canned in over 10 years or so and got two bushels of apples. I thought I would make applesauce and spiced apples as it would be something easy to transition back into canning. Boy was I wrong!!!!!! Apples are not easy by any means. I will do pickles and salsa any day over them. Think this next go around I will do something easier!! It did feel good though to get them done and know that I had done it myself! My neighbor and husband's aunt were just in awe that I actually canned!!!

Quote:
http://www.herbwisdom.com/herb-hawthorn-berry.html

TY CHICKEN STALKER
I knew about the health benefits of Hawthorn, we follow a more natural approach to our health here,
partly why we got chickens, but wondering if I made jam or jelly out of the berries or flowers if it would have negative effects on anyone who does not have need of heart remedies. Like my children and husband. I also take 2 tablets of hawthorn daily for my heart and health. So need to find out if extra would affect its helpfulness as well.
So anyone know them answers? I may have to call our natural herbalist with these questions, because I haven't found many other references different than the link you posted. TY again Kim

I'm away, in AL. So no canning going on, but I did buy some jellies. Watermelon, Scuppernong and Mayhaw jellies. In Fairhope. I had a jar to bring but like an idiot put it in my carry on and it got confiscated.
barnie.gif

I have to decide whether to just mail this stuff back or hope it doesn't get stolen from our "checked" luggage. I also have a bottle of pecan oil too.

Quote:
Well don't forget... I sell watermelon & scuppernog (bronze muscadine) in my store. ;-) If you need to re-up, just let me know! LOL

I've canned two batches of applesauce withing the last 2 weeks and both batches have about 1/2" of liquid in the bottom of the jars. I'm fairly new to canning and this is the first time I've tried applesauce. Is the liquid normal? If not, what am I doing wrong and will they be ok? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom