What are you canning now?

Darklingstorm, welcome. How do you smoke and dehydrate peppers? That sounds so good. Also, zucchini cream? I don't post much but I love reading about everyone's canning. I have been canning green beans, blackberry jam, relishes, dill pickles (my first try), blueberry jam and pie filling and some great norther beans with sausage.

Here is the one I made this year, I found it in an old book in the library and modified it (the original called for Brandy). I can't tell you how it taste since my hubby took one bit then refused to let anyone else have any. I'm assuming it was good since he has already eaten a jar this month.

2 pounds Cherries
3 cups sugar
1 lemon - juiced

Rinse, stem and pit the cherries. Simmer the cherries in 2 TBSP of water until soft -10 to 15 minutes. (I crushed mine up till almost smooth) Stir in the sugar and lemon juice, boil rapidly until set, about 15 minutes longer.
Ladle the jam into hot jars, leaving 1/4" head space. Wipe the rims clean, put the lids in place and tighten lids. Invert the jars for a few minute, then return to the upright position and let cool completely.

Darklingstorm, welcome. How do you smoke and dehydrate peppers? That sounds so good. Also, zucchini cream? I don't post much but I love reading about everyone's canning. I have been canning green beans, blackberry jam, relishes, dill pickles (my first try), blueberry jam and pie filling and some great norther beans with sausage.

Smoking peppers: Take any kind of pepper (we use home grown bell peppers) and cut in half, seed them if you want. Place them in your smoker and smoke for several hours till you reach the desired smokiness. Then to make sure they are completely dried out for storage, I place them in my dehydrator overnight - OUTSIDE. Then seal them up in a bag or jar and use when I need them. Here is a before and after picture of the peppers.

Zucchini Cream I found in a book from the library, wish I had wrote the name of the book down instead of just the recipes.
I can pm you the recipe if you want but here is whats in it: 2 lbs of zucchini, 2 cups sugar, 1/2 cup butter and the juice & rind of 2 lemons.
You don't taste the zucchini at all, acts like a thickener or base if you will. I've heard people say it tastes like a Lemonade Cream or the filling from a lemon meringue pie.

I was looking around for a few new recipes to add to my canning list and found these 2:
http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_06/marinated_peppers.html
http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_06/marinated_mushrooms.html

Does anyone else think these are a bit odd for water bath canning with all that oil? There is no way I'd try them!! I just, well, no I won't say it..... yes I will..... I'll use recipes not always considered correct in today's canning techniques but I would NEVER can anything with this much oil in a water bath. No... it's just wrong.

Thank you Darklingstorm

I have both a smoker and a dehydrator so I will give the smoked dried peppers a try when I do my big harvest in late summer.

The zucchini cream sounds yummy. I will do some looking at my local library to see what books they might have.

Thanks again.

I was given several large cabbages....any suggestions on what to do with them? I thought about making some sour krout but need to know what els I can do with this much cabbage. I don't have a pressure canner but do have a water bath one.

I also have a lot of cabbage. I use the big outer leaves to make stuffed cabbage, cooked on the stovetop in a spicy tomato sauce. Then I freeze it in family size portions - instant meal when I don't feel like cooking in the winter. The innards I use to make sauerkraut.

I was given several large cabbages....any suggestions on what to do with them? I thought about making some sour krout but need to know what els I can do with this much cabbage. I don't have a pressure canner but do have a water bath one.

Feed them to the chickens!

ron

Back
Top Bottom