What are you canning now?

Quote: I feel that way about a lot of things. When a cake falls apart getting it out of the pan, I call the family in to eat "Chocolate Mistake" and bake another one for the party.
lau.gif

Luckily that does not happen too often.

With a thread this large, it has probably already been mentioned, but some times it takes a couple of weeks for a Jelly, jam or preserver to set.

Ron

Last edited:
So do you all freeze your food after its been dried? I was reading the info I got with my Nesco and it said after your dry than freeze. Whats with that? Couldnt I just use a food save for it?

busy busy,
10 jars galic scapes,big job, grinded stalks dehydrating..
14 jars chocolate rasberrie jam mmhh
11 jars rasberry jam
9 pints cabbage
got two flats of rasberrys and one blueberry,
getting them all bagged,
taking a break, got some discounted peaches to deal with...

I freeze instead of canning.....so far, I've put up strawberries, blueberries, beets, more beets, corn & green beans. I'll keep freezing until the harvest is over! So good to eat 'fresh', (frozen) fruits and veggies in the cold winter months!!! ~Beulah

Our garden failed this year, again. last year we only had bell peppers and this year nothing grew but grass!
so all my canning has come from the wild.
plum jelly that failed to set x2 (i think our walmart is selling old stock ball pectin?)
muscadine jelly- red and amber- came out beautiful last night

ACE hardware has thier pint size jars on sale for $7.00 a case right now. Not the $5.50 I got them for last year from them, but still better than full price even at walmart. Dont' forget, Walmart price matches. ACE usually only usually has a few cases. I bought all three at the local store but I'm going to check to see if Lowe's still will beat prices by 10% then go from there. Here is the link to print.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1276024&cp=2568443.2568448.11927733.11927746

Oh and I got 8 pints of spaghetti sauce done. This was the Ragu copycat recipe. i cut the oil to 1/2 cup and pressure canned them for 35 minutes (as was reccomended here
big_smile.png
) It wasn't quite Ragu but was still pretty good!

Last edited:
I'm so glad I found this site.

I've never canned in my life but 2 years ago my MIL was talking about it and I asked if she would show me. I always thought it was so hard and time consuming but I was totally surprised by how easy it really is. Since then I've been raiding the libraries and searching the web for recipes. My MIL even gave me canning books for Christmas.

So far I've canned Green tomato relish, Zucchini relish, pickled squash, Cherry Jam (that my hubby won't share with anyone), Zucchini cream (a butter spread), Stewed tomatoes, chow chow and whole tomatoes.

But one thing we do every year is smoke and dehydrate peppers. We get people asking us all the time for them and they are awesome in chili, actually makes the chili taste like it was cooked over a fire pit.

I love the "new" foods that we can make now. My hubby even wants to build me a green house so that I can keep growing and canning all year long. And it's now very easy to buy for me for Christmas and birthdays...just about anything to do with canning and chickens will work.

Not canning anything right now!! Waiting for my freaking clear gel to come in so I can can up some cherry pie filling. I got 20lbs in the freezer and it takes up a lot of space.

I got a good deal on jars too recently. Our grocery store had a buy 2 get one free sale, then I had a $3 off 2 cases coupon. Landed me 9 cases of quarts but only 3 cases of pints. Grocer doesn't seem to keep those in stock. I can my jams in pints cause 1/2 pints are just a waste of time for our family. Gonna go to the sales at fleet farm and such for pints. I want at least 6 cases of pints, and then I will try to get them on clearance. I never seem lucky doing it that way tho....

Back
Top Bottom