What are you canning now?

Nine pints and one quart of dill pickles

Two pints and two half pints of sweet pickle relish

I have many more pickles to do tomorrow. Zesty bread and butter, more dill, and contemplating if I should do more sweet pickle relish. Love canning, but I have so much to do! Tomatoes, salsa, raspberry jam coming up soon.

Congrats, vfem! It's never occurred to me to enter any sort of contest; I just can stuff for my own use...to eat or give away.

I have a couple questions: what do you use rosemary (or any other herb jelly) for? And...french vanilla peach sauce?? That sounds fantastic..how is it made and what do you use it for?

Thanks,
Mickey

Has anyone tried canning homemade BBQ sauce? I make it all the time and want to make some for gifts this year but am not sure if it would just need a water bath or pressure canned?

Has anyone tried canning homemade BBQ sauce? I make it all the time and want to make some for gifts this year but am not sure if it would just need a water bath or pressure canned?
Well, I'm not an expert, but isn't water vs pressure canning decided based on the Acidity of the food? This may not be the best way, but if no one else knows, maybe you could get some PH strips and find out how acidic your BBQ sauce is???
idunno.gif

half the recipes I've found say to pressure can it, but Ball Blue Book pg. 54 says to boiling-water canner.
I've never tried Bar-B-que sauce myself but was going to try a sugar-free one soon.

Congrats, vfem! It's never occurred to me to enter any sort of contest; I just can stuff for my own use...to eat or give away.

I have a couple questions: what do you use rosemary (or any other herb jelly) for? And...french vanilla peach sauce?? That sounds fantastic..how is it made and what do you use it for?

Thanks,
Mickey

The french vanilla peach sauce is a fav of mine!

Simply peal and pit as many peaches as you'd like. I usually do between 10 and 12 at a time. Then pulse in the food processer until perfectly smooth. Heat over medium heat for about 20-30 minutes w/ 1 scrapped/split vanilla bean. 2 Tbsp lemon juice and as much sugar as you want. I usually only do 1 cup or less... my husband prefers more. Just add and test.

Can in freshly sterilized jars, water bath can for 10 minutes.

So yum on ice cream or french toast or pancakes.... or right out of the jar with a spoon!!!!

4 pints and one half pint of tomatillo salsa. This time I substituted lemon juice for the lime juice. I like it better with the lemon!!! Good thing I have tomatillos coming out the whazoo! It's so yummy!

Back
Top Bottom