What are you canning now?

If you find you need to replace it, I would highly recommend that Complete Book of Home Preserving. 400 recipes that cover more than I ever thought you could can and it is listed at $22.95

It has alot of helpful canning info in the back also. Altitude chart, produce purchasing guide, Problem solvers, ...

Lets hope not. However I got two books for that price on Amazon or E-bay. New ones too. I'm sure you can find the same deal for that one.

Mom wanted to make that old time apple butter but all we had was the tiny apples way up high on an old apple tree that I missed pruning this spring (it has not been pruned in 10-20 years).

We were sitting here under the oak tree the other day, when one of the hens noticed something in the tree. We could not see a bird so figured she was looking at the wind in the leaves, then a second hen joined in on the stare down. Sure enough, a ground squirrel thought he was a tree rat and was raiding the mini apples.

Well that could not be allowed! I cut down the two 30' tall root suckers and suddenly, we had apples!

I have the last of 24 pints of apple butter in the canner right now. (Mom turned down my offer of using the fruit strainer on the kitchenaid-she is wishing she hadn't now...lol)

Mom wanted to make that old time apple butter but all we had was the tiny apples way up high on an old apple tree that I missed pruning this spring (it has not been pruned in 10-20 years).  

We were sitting here under the oak tree the other day, when one of the hens noticed something in the tree.  We could not see a bird so figured she was looking at the wind in the leaves, then a second hen joined in on the stare down.  Sure enough, a ground squirrel thought he was a tree rat and was raiding the mini apples.

Well that could not be allowed!  I cut down the two 30' tall root suckers and suddenly, we had apples!

I have the last of 24 pints of apple butter in the canner right now.  (Mom turned down my offer of using the fruit strainer on the kitchenaid-she is wishing she hadn't now...lol)

Ugh what am I doing wrong with my strainer!!!??? We bought the same set up last month I believe...how did you use yours exactly? Please...i peeled 20+ ofnapples by hand and Im thinking ifnInwouldnhave just cored them cooked them down I could have ran them through thenstrainer to get peels out??

Brandy Pear Butter

7 lbs pears, peeled, cored and coarsley chopped
1/2 cup water
zest and juice of one lemon

Bring to a boil in a stainless steel saucepan over medium-high heat. Turn down and boil gently till soft, about 20 minutes.
Puree pears in food mill or food processor just until a uniform texture is achieved. DO NOT LIQUIFY.
Measure 8 cups of puree into a large saucepan. Add in:

3 cups of sugar
zest and juice of one orange
1 teaspoon of nutmeg

Stir until sugar is dissolved.
Bring to boil over medium-high heat, stirring frequently. Turn burner down and boil gently until mixture thickens.

Add: one cup of "spirits" - recipe recommends amaretto liqueur or sweet wine, I chose Brandy.

Bring to low boil and cook until pear butter mounds on the spoon. The test I used is a spoonful dropped onto a cold plate doesn't seperate out a layer of water.

Ladle hot butter into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch head space. Process in water both for 10 minutes.

The peach butter is the same only use 4 1/2 lbs of peaches and no orange or nutmeg.

Thanks! I still have more pears to go - I'm going to try it. Also going to try pear raspberry jam - sounds like a good combination of flavors.

I have a question for folks who use a crock pot to make their butters. I was so excited when I found out it could be done that way. And was so disappointed when I proceeded to burn 3 batches in a row :( I have more peaches and apples now and want to try it again. Any tips/tricks for me?

Thanks!
Mickey

wish I could say yes, but I probably just flat over cooked it. I was waiting till it was thick IN the pot and I wonder if I should have been testing it on the plate...it'd probably thicken as it cools, right? Also, should I just have the fruit in the pot? When I did it before, I put all the sugar and spices in before I cooked it.

wish I could say yes, but I probably just flat over cooked it.  I was waiting till it was thick IN the pot and I wonder if I should have been testing it on the plate...it'd probably thicken as it cools, right? Also, should I just have the fruit in the pot?  When I did it before, I put all the sugar and spices in before I cooked it.

Thats what I do? I put it all together and let it simmer over night..First hour on high-the last 10..low then can like crazy before work! lol

That's what I had read, but after that amount of time, it still didn't seem thick enough, so I let it go. That was likely my mistake...duh...it's going to be runnier when it's hot!
he.gif
Reckon I'll try it again and test on a plate instead of thinking I can just eyeball it, LOL

Thanks, ladies!

Back
Top Bottom