What are you canning now?

Gifted the neighbor with a tiny jar of pear jelly (one of the little 4 oz. one) for her to try. This was the first time I have ever made any jelly besides strawberry, blueberry or blackberry, so I did a number of 4oz. jars of everything for sampling. Figured If we didn't like it, I could "gift" the pints for christmas. So far everything we have tried has been fantastic.

In fact, my neighbor asked to be on my christmas list!
lau.gif

Seems her husband won't eat pears, doesn't like pears, but really likes pear jelly.

Where do you find the 4 oz jars? We used to be able to get them around here but I can't find them any more and haven't been able to find them for several years. I used to give a variety of jelly and jam at Christmas to people in that size jar but I've had to cut back to one or two kinds because I can only find the half pints. Augh!

I did pickled jalapenos and pickled beets for Christmas today while the babe slept. it's amazing how much less canning gets done these days!

In the process of canning bacon pieces. This is the first time I've done this.
Hopefully it will be useful when it comes time to make a quick quiche, potato
soup, etc.

My mother-in-law, my sister-in-law and my self did our canning together. We all live on the same farm so it is easier to can with help.
Together we put up (Qts),
6 cases of green beans,
4 case of beets,
4 cases of carrots,
2 cases of dill relish,
1 case of hot pepper relish,
2 cases of hot pepper rings,
1 case of strawberry jelly,
1 case of peach jam,
1 case of brandied peaches,
4 cases of apple sauce,
2 cases of stewed tomatoes,
6 cases of tomato sauce.
We also froze,
10 bushel of corn,
22 frozen pounds of swiss chard.
6 gallon bags of bell peppers,
10 gallons of strawberries.
6 - pans of stuffed peppers.

Next up is freezing butternut squash. We also dehydrate a lot of what we don't can. Phew! It has been a busy fall.
th.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom