What are you doing to help the economy?

dacjohns, IIRC you have a tech background?

The banks bundled whole bunches of mortgages together, rated the bundles and sold them to each other as investments. They insured these investments with each other to amounts of money that exceeded the entire value of the company assets, such that in the event they should ever have to pay out on one of the insurance policies, the company would be bankrupt. They believed the mortgages were safe bets because of a mathematical error in how they valued the mortgage bundles: In a decent economy, any individual mortgage that defaults can be assumed to be the result of random chance. Illness, job loss, etc. are fairly random events in a good/mediocre economy with a normal, homoscedastic population of workers. However, we do not have a good/mediocre economy, nor do we have normal and homoscedastic populations of workers. When you have an aging worker population (with higher illness rates accordingly) and a lousy economy (where many people are unemployed or underemployed as a function of the Dow Jones fluctuation du jour), you end up with lots of people defaulting on mortgages, making them no longer a safe bet. So in order to value these things accurately, they needed to do a Bayesian analysis to account for these effects. They didn't.

Worse than that, they did not attach audit tracebacks to any of the bundled mortgages, so figuring out which mortgages in any given bundle are garbage is very very very difficult. Not impossible, just difficult and time-consuming. So if my mortgage, which is paid every month on time like clockwork, is in a bundle with Joe Schmo The Slumlord's mortgage, and Joe Schmo defaults and skips town, the valuation of my mortgage as an asset to MegaBank, Inc. also goes down, just because the financial people cannot be bothered to do the actual work of sorting out the bundle. It's easier on their brains to assume the whole bundle is junk, and ask Congress to give them money to make up the difference, else they will hold our whole economy hostage.

Yeah, I have a dim view of the bailout.

Anyway, I am helping the local economy by having some renovations done on the house before the winter weather sets in. And I am being extra-helpful by hiring the contractor who promised to use all American workers: I'm paying him $3000 more than the guy who gave me a lowball estimate but admitted he was going to use illegal immigrants. Also, we are using locally harvested wood sawn by a local sawmill that specializes in hardwood reproductions and harvested off state forestry land that is used as wildlife habitat.

I am helping the economy by draining our 550 gallon diesel tank just so we can refill it. Oh and we turn our thermostat to 90 degrees even when it's 85 outside. We also manfacture melamine in our basement and sell it way above cost to China.

You know I'm joking, right?

LOL!

we drive older cars, but that's not really by choice, is it now?

we are remodeling our house for the 10th year in a row to make it more green.

oh, and we're getting some .... CHICKENS!

Quote:
Nothing. It's done nothing for me. We have no debt except for a 60K mortgage on our home and land, worth about $250K. We never buy things we cant afford and believe me, we rarely buy anything except chicken feed and food for us. I'm staying on my hill inside my fence and minding my own business and just trying to stay afloat. So sue me, but I just dont care. It cant be fixed now it's such a confuzzled mess.
I've never owned a new car. Our long ago paid-for vehicles are a 96 and 94. Never had my nails done (oh geez, what a joke for a do it yourselfer like me!), we buy cheap clothes, dont have cell phones and soon satellite TV is going completely for us. We dont use heat or A/C or leave lights on, but our bills are too high anyway, thanks TVA. My porch roof leaks badly and we cant afford to fix it. Guess it will eventually fall in on that side. I shop at flea markets and thrift stores. The world is exploding around me and I feel just fine doing nothing about it. I didnt create it and I cant fix it. I spent my life making responsible decisions and others didn't so why should I pay for their stupidity?
rant.gif

Couldn't have said it better myself Cyn! I'm only putting any extra $ that I have into food, which isn't much, because I am not going to be left staring at my kids feeling helpless when the crap really does hit the fan. Whether those few extra $ I'm spending really are helping the economy or not, I don't know and I am with Cyn. I really truly just don't care. I wasn't one of the ding-dongs that ran out and took out a mortgage that I couldn't afford. I also have never owned a new car in my life and don't plan to. My Sienna is paid off and is a '94. We paid cash for my DH's little Isuzu pick-up that is a '94. The way I am saving gas is that I am driving less, so I don't need a more fuel efficient vehicle that will drive me into more debt. I really think it's a shame that there are so many innocent people that are having to pay for other's stupidity.

Last edited:
Like Cyn, nothing! All we have to owe is our mortgage of our house, our nused (bought used but looked new) van to replace our OLD van and our window replacement improvement Sears card which we always paid it off with our income tax. Next year, we are planning on getting two of our bedroom windows replaced, pay off what we can for our van since we made a half downpayment on it and owe the bank the other half. After that is done, I hope to have a boxed garden for next spring planting.

We have been cutting back as much as we can and visiting food pantries for extras. Darn groceries just cost twice as much! GRRRRRRRR!

I would think that paying your mortgage is also helping the economy. I also think that buying or trading anything is helping because value is being exchanged.

* Lol-- TRUE!! and apparently, it wasn't us, was it!?! I feel so much better!
tongue.png
I also think that if anybody is to blame, or partly to blame, at least-- It's the house flippers, who at one point had houses in our 55 y/o 'hood going for over 2OOK! (incredibly ridiculous) and developers who were building 1OO's of THOUSANDS of crackerbox condos with sale prices of 35OK to 1.8 mil!! NUTS!!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom