What are your favorite non-waterfowl poultry?

Which one's are your favorite?

• emu

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • peafowl

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • turkey

• quail

• guineas

• chickens

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • other

• Total voters
Wow! thanks for that! What can blackhead cause besides death in poults?
It can cause reduced egg production. Layers infected at an early age with H. meleagridis had slower bodyweight gain, more size variability, higher weight loss and started laying eggs later compared to birds not affected by blackhead disease. In a commercial flock, early infection with H. meleagridis would also result in a higher number of culls compared to an uninfected flock.

BRAHMAS!
I breed them.
They’re gentle giants.
Cold hardy, very friendly, decent egg layers, they make great broodies and mothers being able to cover many eggs as they’re so large.

Some photos of mine.
B2F40F17-7CD1-4725-99AE-A9EA71F380F0.jpeg
84114315-0672-4036-B615-2F9775C2D33F.jpeg
4A8C0AB7-E7D3-4D85-B014-68BBAC81E249.jpeg
A181571C-4078-4523-8D01-300B9EAF5DB5.jpeg
DD08353D-37D0-401F-8CEF-D504FC49B85D.jpeg
DE7A2C3E-958B-4E26-B21D-DD97BA442D46.jpeg
1AD8E1E4-9076-42BF-B94F-A137BE278E49.jpeg
C73CF625-C547-46A2-A304-0455FAE3A8EE.jpeg

Do emus count? :p I love my big dinosaurs.

But more seriously, I second brahmas. I have light brahmas and also some other colors I'm using to work on a color project, and they are great. Big, gentle giants. Very docile and friendly. The hens are great mothers.

Quick edit to add, if you want to show whatever breed you choose, bantams are easier for showing. Brahmas come in bantam size, too. I keep Ko Shamo bantams and love them and show them, but they are a game breed, so they take some finagling to house and prevent fighting, and also people tend to either love how they look or hate how they look, lol. So they aren't a breed for everyone.

While chickens are obviously my very favorite poultry, turkeys come in close second. I absolutely adored my Bourbon Red and Royal Palm hens. :love Their trills, "binks," bald heads, and soft snoods warm the coldest of hearts.

Sadly, both had to be given to a close family member, due to the fact they were severely injuring the bantams (possibly killed a few....these died mysteriously). We simply aren't equipped to keep species separately right now. :hmm

As far as chickens go, I favor Marans, d'Uccles, Old English Game bantams, and Sussex.

~Alex

Last edited:
Do emus count? :p I love my big dinosaurs.

But more seriously, I second brahmas. I have light brahmas and also some other colors I'm using to work on a color project, and they are great. Big, gentle giants. Very docile and friendly. The hens are great mothers.

Quick edit to add, if you want to show whatever breed you choose, bantams are easier for showing. Brahmas come in bantam size, too. I keep Ko Shamo bantams and love them and show them, but they are a game breed, so they take some finagling to house and prevent fighting, and also people tend to either love how they look or hate how they look, lol. So they aren't a breed for everyone.
Yes! emus count! Do you like them? I am considering getting some.

While chickens are obviously my very favorite poultry, turkeys come in close second. I absolutely adored my Bourbon Red and Royal Palm hens. :love Their trills, "binks," bald heads, and soft snoods warm the coldest of hearts.

Sadly, both had to be given to a close family member, due to the fact they were severely injuring the bantams (possibly killed a few....these died mysteriously). We simply aren't equipped to keep species separately right now. :hmm

As far as chickens go, I favor Marans, d'Uccles, Old English Game bantams, and Sussex.

~Alex
:hugs Sorry you had to give them away:hugs

Yes! emus count! Do you like them? I am considering getting some.

I absolutely love mine! But keep in mind that they are BIG birds and need a lot of space; almost horse levels of space.

However, if you have the space, they are great birds. Very friendly and curious, and awesome personalities.

BRAHMAS!
I breed them.
They’re gentle giants.
Cold hardy, very friendly, decent egg layers, they make great broodies and mothers being able to cover many eggs as they’re so large.

Some photos of mine.
View attachment 1681201 View attachment 1681202 View attachment 1681203 View attachment 1681204 View attachment 1681205 View attachment 1681206 View attachment 1681207 View attachment 1681208

Thanks, I'm getting some spring chicks this year so maybe I'll think about getting some brahmas. You've got some pretty nice birds!

If you want something other than chickens, I would highly suggest guineas except they are noisy. Guineas are very loud and loud all the time. However, that being said, they are beautiful birds and great at eating bugs, including ticks. They also give an alarm call when they sense predators and are good at spotting hawks which is important where I live. But again, they are very talkative.

Back
Top Bottom