What are your five favorite breeds and why

Pics
RIR - personable but bold and sassy. The squirrels are scared to come down from the trees when they’re around. They get the chase of a life. Lol Amazing layers and friendly to humans. Very hardy

Barred rock - docile. Friendly with humans and other chickens. Dependable layers. BEAUTIFUL Love it

Easter Egger- curious and silly. Not to bright ( at least mine aren’t)but that makes me laugh of course the fun eggs (though I’m waiting on one 9 months no egg *sigh*) unfortunately the most flighty and skiddish ones ive had

ISA Brown - HUGE personalities Super curious and friendly almost playful kinda. Super silly with s bit of sass. First to run to me and peck my laces

OEG rooster- I don’t know about the breeds much in general we happened to end up with one by random few years ego. He is awesome! Soooo beautiful and the most loyal to his hens. Respectful to his humans lol. He does nothing but look over and provide for his 14 girls. Sometimes he looks exhausted at the end of the day

I like round chickens too. Brahma do look grouchy. :D
I love my big, round, fluffy birds, but wow!, does my Brahma look fierce! I love her because she looks like she’s all bird, all the time! And I do love my EEers - they’re the instigators and the sweetest birds. But my favorite of the Littles (shhh, don’t tell the rest!), is my Salmon Faverolle! She might be the smallest of the Littles, but she’s definitely the bravest and the sassiest!

1. Japanese bantams..Chaboes!
2.buff orpington..I have a sweet hen named pancake that is one of my favorites.
3.barred rock..good egg-production and so sweet
4. Easter egger.. free pre-colored Easter eggs..
5. Austra white.. I have a chicken named spot that is also one of my favorites.
@Hobbits Mommie that looks like an austra white. And if so you have great taste in chickens!
She was hatched by my neighbor. He gave me 22 chick's and she was the only white one. This is what the rest look like. Curious to see if you think they are related, or completely different breeds.

Attachments

• Bird 1.jpg
    Bird 1.jpg
    481.4 KB · Views: 10
1) English Orpington - Big, round and fluffy with great personalities! What's not to love? Very drama-free and like hugging a down pillow.
2) Bantam Cochin - The cuteness factor is high on this one. My little calico looks like she is snowshoeing around the pen.
3) Silkie - Not a fan of the broodiness, but the funny fierceness that comes along with it cracks me up. Also, my silkie has this adorable camouflaging thing she does where she throws grass on her back. Very fun to watch.
4) Australorp - I have only had one and she was one of a kind. She was sweet and probably the smartest chicken I have ever had.
5) Ameraucana - It was tough to settle on just one for a fifth. I love their beards and blue eggs but I think their personalities are a little bland for me. However, my favorite girl happens to be a special-needs Ameraucana and she is my everything. She can't see very well and is very attached to me. She loves to fall asleep in my lap and be hand fed.

You like red combs on your birds? How about NO comb like our Cuckoo Breda and Blue Breda -- just have a triangle tassel on their head, cavernous nostrils like crows, vulture hocks, and long feathered legs/toes! Very gentle souls and decent layers. Since we live in an area with very little rainy or muddy conditions we have no problem with feathered legs on Silkies or Breda.
View attachment 1591275
View attachment 1591278
View attachment 1591279
That is strange, but yet appealing. :)

There are so many breeds that I would yet like to try out as a part of our flock. Faverolles and Ameraucanas being the top two followed by Cream Legbars and Oliver Eggers. I did just get some Ameraucana Bantam chickens which I am excited about.

At the moment my favorite 5 breeds based on what we have/had are:

1 Brahmas - our are big funny girls that crack me up when they run. No one messes with our Light Brahma even though she is such a sweetie. The Buff Brahma is so goofy. She was raised with my daughter’s silkies and now she thinks she is a Silkie. She even sleeps on the ground in a big pile with them. LOL!

2 Easter Eggers - ours are quirky birds in such a great array of colors. Pretty blue or blue-green eggs that make collecting the eggs so much fun.

3 Favaucana- I miss ours daily. She was sweet and oh so talkative. And her eggs were the prettiest sage colored eggs.

4 Sexlinks - both our Gold & Black are great layers and have super sweet personalities.

5 Black Copper Marans- I love the darker brown eggs. Ours are interesting birds with an almost aloof air......unless I have scratch grain......then they are all about being my best friend.
I have been eyeballing the Favaucana. They sound like nice birds. You must get yours from MPC too.

My favorites of those breeds that I've tried out:
1. Blue/Splash Marans: Non-flighty heritage birds, great egg color, dual-purpose
2. Crested Cream Legbar: Can't beat the blue eggs!
3. Marans x CCL = crested Olive egger with great personalities
4. Bantam Cochins (Candy corn is my favorite color): Kid friendly, great mamas
5. Pita Pintas: GREAT layers of pale pink eggs, eye candy on the lawn!

Breeds I've loathed:
Welsummers: Crazy, awful things, eggs not nearly as pretty as Marans.
Spitzhaubens: Stupid, flighty, nut-ball birds.
I have enjoyed my welsummer, but my appenzellar I often forget I have.

1) English Orpington - Big, round and fluffy with great personalities! What's not to love? Very drama-free and like hugging a down pillow.
2) Bantam Cochin - The cuteness factor is high on this one. My little calico looks like she is snowshoeing around the pen.
3) Silkie - Not a fan of the broodiness, but the funny fierceness that comes along with it cracks me up. Also, my silkie has this adorable camouflaging thing she does where she throws grass on her back. Very fun to watch.
4) Australorp - I have only had one and she was one of a kind. She was sweet and probably the smartest chicken I have ever had.
5) Ameraucana - It was tough to settle on just one for a fifth. I love their beards and blue eggs but I think their personalities are a little bland for me. However, my favorite girl happens to be a special-needs Ameraucana and she is my everything. She can't see very well and is very attached to me. She loves to fall asleep in my lap and be hand fed.
I have one English buff Orpington, she's a big Bird that goes broody often. There's definitely a different in them from the hatchery quality.

RIR - personable but bold and sassy. The squirrels are scared to come down from the trees when they’re around. They get the chase of a life. Lol Amazing layers and friendly to humans. Very hardy

Barred rock - docile. Friendly with humans and other chickens. Dependable layers. BEAUTIFUL Love it

Easter Egger- curious and silly. Not to bright ( at least mine aren’t)but that makes me laugh of course the fun eggs (though I’m waiting on one 9 months no egg *sigh*) unfortunately the most flighty and skiddish ones ive had

ISA Brown - HUGE personalities Super curious and friendly almost playful kinda. Super silly with s bit of sass. First to run to me and peck my laces

OEG rooster- I don’t know about the breeds much in general we happened to end up with one by random few years ego. He is awesome! Soooo beautiful and the most loyal to his hens. Respectful to his humans lol. He does nothing but look over and provide for his 14 girls. Sometimes he looks exhausted at the end of the day
I need a squirrel chasing RIR. :lau

Back
Top Bottom