What are your frugal and sustainable tips and tricks?

Pics
⚠️ Are Knock-Off tool batteries worth it?

This is a topic I love to look into once or twice a year. In my experience, I tried some knock-off batteries, thought I saved a lot of money, but the performance was so bad that I ended up returning them.

Although it might look like you are getting a great battery at a much reduced price (and who would be against that?) what I found out is that the knock-off batteries I bought had about half the run time of the original brand batteries. That might still be a good deal, but I also consider the warranty period of value to me.

Looking at the Amazon reviews, the negative reviews only, I found case after case where a person was unable to return a battery to the company for replacement after the Amazon 90-day return period but before the 1-year warranty on the battery had expired. Even though the seller advertises a 1-year warranty, good luck on getting a replacement after the Amazon return period has expired.

Essentially, you are getting a 90-day warranty on some of these knock-off batteries compared to the standard 3-year warranty backed by the original tool brand. An original $90 battery with a 3-year warranty backed by the tool company will cost you $30 per year. A $22 knock-off battery with only a 90-day Amazon return period to count on comes out to $88 per year. Which is the better deal. Again, read the negative comments on Amazon to see how many knock-off battery companies vanish within that first-year warranty period or will not replace a defective item.

There was a YouTube video just posted that tested the performance of some knock-off batteries and looks at how dangerous some of these knock-off batteries can be. If a Lii-ion battery shorts out on you, do you want to risk burning down your garage or house? One of these knock-off batteries had no protection and could have started a fire.

In all fairness to knock-off batteries, the tests in this video showed that none of the knock-off batteries had the capacity of the original. But at a much-reduced price, it might be worth it to you to get some knock-off batteries and save some money up front. For example, the runner up in the performance category of these knock-off batteries was the Labtech. You could buy 4 Labtech batteries for the price of one original battery. The combined run time of 4 Labtech batteries would give you 3X the run time of a single original battery. That Labtech battery was tested out as safe with overload protection that worked.

Most of my jobs with batteries do not run the battery all the way down. Maybe I lose a bar or two of battery run time on the job. I would rather have 4 Labtech knock-off batteries in 4 different tools than having to swap out one original battery on each and every tool.

Unfortunately, I don't know of any way to get info if a knock-off battery is safe and how much real wattage you can get out them. Dollar for dollar you might get a good deal on a knock-off battery - as long as that battery is safe. If you can find a company that honors the 1-year warranty if the battery becomes defective, then you might have good reason to try them out.

⚠️ Are Knock-Off tool batteries worth it?

This is a topic I love to look into once or twice a year. In my experience, I tried some knock-off batteries, thought I saved a lot of money, but the performance was so bad that I ended up returning them.

Although it might look like you are getting a great battery at a much reduced price (and who would be against that?) what I found out is that the knock-off batteries I bought had about half the run time of the original brand batteries. That might still be a good deal, but I also consider the warranty period of value to me.

Looking at the Amazon reviews, the negative reviews only, I found case after case where a person was unable to return a battery to the company for replacement after the Amazon 90-day return period but before the 1-year warranty on the battery had expired. Even though the seller advertises a 1-year warranty, good luck on getting a replacement after the Amazon return period has expired.

Essentially, you are getting a 90-day warranty on some of these knock-off batteries compared to the standard 3-year warranty backed by the original tool brand. An original $90 battery with a 3-year warranty backed by the tool company will cost you $30 per year. A $22 knock-off battery with only a 90-day Amazon return period to count on comes out to $88 per year. Which is the better deal. Again, read the negative comments on Amazon to see how many knock-off battery companies vanish within that first-year warranty period or will not replace a defective item.

There was a YouTube video just posted that tested the performance of some knock-off batteries and looks at how dangerous some of these knock-off batteries can be. If a Lii-ion battery shorts out on you, do you want to risk burning down your garage or house? One of these knock-off batteries had no protection and could have started a fire.

In all fairness to knock-off batteries, the tests in this video showed that none of the knock-off batteries had the capacity of the original. But at a much-reduced price, it might be worth it to you to get some knock-off batteries and save some money up front. For example, the runner up in the performance category of these knock-off batteries was the Labtech. You could buy 4 Labtech batteries for the price of one original battery. The combined run time of 4 Labtech batteries would give you 3X the run time of a single original battery. That Labtech battery was tested out as safe with overload protection that worked.

Most of my jobs with batteries do not run the battery all the way down. Maybe I lose a bar or two of battery run time on the job. I would rather have 4 Labtech knock-off batteries in 4 different tools than having to swap out one original battery on each and every tool.

Unfortunately, I don't know of any way to get info if a knock-off battery is safe and how much real wattage you can get out them. Dollar for dollar you might get a good deal on a knock-off battery - as long as that battery is safe. If you can find a company that honors the 1-year warranty if the battery becomes defective, then you might have good reason to try them out.
In my experience it’s not worth it. They don’t seem to last as long as the real deal and hubs had one leak.

I have run out things to store in old creamer bottles. I use them for things that come in bags, I hate bags in the pantry so I store chocolate chips, rice, beans, etc in the bottles. I found some cute vase ideas and may try a luminaria or two by decoupaging them with some tissue paper.

I called out his name and thanked him for helping me find the item I wanted. He smiled and said something like "You're very welcome." I know he appreciated the extra shout out thanking him for his efforts. You know, it's not a big deal, but I know this manager and sometimes he has a personality deficit lately. I am hoping that using his name and thanking him for his help softens him up a bit, not only for me, but other customers who shop at his store.
When I check out at the local grocery, I thank the cashier by name. If I ask anyone for help to find an item, I do the same thing. It's nice to say thank you, but I want that person to know that I see them, not just a store employee.
All that frozen veggie juice is gold for chicken soups or vegetable soups. I think it adds more flavor to the soup then just using plain water.
As long as it's not full of salt, I use it as the liquid for chickie mash snack too.
I find it very frugal to purchase some items at deep discounts and clearance sales even if I don't need it at the time. I always have a small fund of "disposable" money for those type of deals. I believe it has saved me lots of money over the years.
I have a bunch of things that I buy at the local grocery like that. I have them on my list with a designation, "IOS," which means If On Sale. Example: Dog rawhide chews. I have 2 bags in my pantry, but sometimes they are buy 1, get 1 at 40% off. Stock up! Or the antacid DH uses. Buy 3, get 1 free? Sure, I'll do that.

These items have to have a long shelf life, or something I can freeze/preserve somehow. I don't do this with heads of broccoli because I know it would get lost in the freezer and forgotten. But if I had food vacuum sealer, it would still be good when I found it 8 months later... 🤔

In my experience it’s [knock-off batteries] not worth it. They don’t seem to last as long as the real deal and hubs had one leak.

I have yet to see a review where the knock-off battery tests out with the rated capacity. For example, a 6Ah knock-off battery is more likely to give you the runtime of a 4Ah original battery. I don't know if the batteries used in the knock-offs are used and weaker, inferior quality batteries to start with, or they just lie about the capacity ratings.

The videos I have seen where they take the battery cases apart to look inside, the knock-off batteries are almost always made with inferior quality parts and boards. If a battery leaks, that seems to be a major problem. I don't care how much I might save on a purchase if the item I buy is dangerous. That's an automatic elimination in my book. Having said that, in the review I linked to, most of the knock-off batteries had adequate protection and were considered safe. The original battery was tested as safer.

Another consideration that is never mentioned in these reviews is the "real life" price of an original battery purchase. When you buy a knock-off battery, you are only buying the battery, by itself, not in any kit or part of a promo sale.

When I buy my Ryobi batteries, in comparison, it is almost always along with a tool or special promo where you buy the tool and get "free" batteries, or you buy a pack of batteries and get the tool for "free." I have never actually bought a Ryobi battery, full retail price, by itself.

So, comparing the cost of an original battery at full MSRP is giving a big advantage to the knock-off batteries in that respect. I suspect that in many cases my purchases of Ryobi tools and batteries on sale results in a "real life" cost of an original battery actually less expensive than a knock-off battery. I think other brand tools have similar sales.

These items have to have a long shelf life, or something I can freeze/preserve somehow. I don't do this with heads of broccoli because I know it would get lost in the freezer and forgotten. But if I had food vacuum sealer, it would still be good when I found it 8 months later... 🤔

:idunno Dear Wife wanted me to get her a vacuum sealer for preserving our garden veggies. A friend of her's had one and said they were good. So, she wanted one, too. I was lucky to find a working Deni vacuum sealer at our Thrift Store for only $1.50. The first day we used it, Dear Wife was all excited about the vacuum sealing. The next day I noticed that she just put the veggies in freezer bags and did not use the vacuum sealer. I asked her why she was not using the vacuum sealer, and she basically said she thought it was not needed and took too much time and effort for her.

:tongue This might be just another instance of me buying something for the kitchen that Dear Wife loses interest in no time at all. I'm glad I only paid $1.50 for the sealer at the Thrift Store.

:fl I am hoping that later this winter, Dear Wife will be able to test the taste differences between the vacuum sealed frozen food and the regular frozen food in baggies. That will be the real test to see if the vacuum sealer will ever be used over the long term. I hear great things about vacuum sealing, but it has to pass "is the extra time sealing the bags worth it" test.

:caf True story, years ago, Dear Wife had a friend that insisted that she buy one of those electric chicken rotisseries because they cooked the chicken so well. She absolutely needed to get one for herself. It was all the rage. Well, I bought one for about $100, Dear Wife used it once, the chicken was not any better tasting, and it took too much time and effort cleaning the machine. It got packed up, put in the closet, and has been there for the past 30 years.

:love Having learned from getting burned in the past, I now try to buy kitchen stuff at the Thrift Store to try out. Dear Wife gets her newest gadget which, I guess, shows her how much I love her, but if she does not like the thing after using it, at least I have not spent a lot of money on it. Even better, our Thrift Store is run by a church group and a large portion of their money goes to local charities to help people in need. So, I consider any and all of my Thrift Store purchases as a donation to help those in need, whether or not I actually use the item. And, I have re-donated some items that just don't fit into our (Dear Wife's) lifestyle. It's all good to me and maybe someone else will find more value in that item.

Yup! Maybe that's where the rotisserie needs to go. :thumbsup

Probably.

We have 2 of those rotisseries. DH doesn't want to get rid of them though we''ve not used them in about 20 years...

:idunno Yep, Dear Wife doesn't want to bother with it either. It's got no value to me if not used. I don't know why that thing stays in long term storage. It's a monument to wasted money, in our case.

Probably.

:idunno Yep, Dear Wife doesn't want to bother with it either. It's got no value to me if not used. I don't know why that thing stays in long term storage. It's a monument to wasted money, in our case.
One of ours my dh purchased, probably full price from one of those Infomercials.

The second one is the large version, and was given to him by his aunt.

I'm wondering now where they are...maybe I did manage to deep-six them at some point.

No more spending money on decorative gourds! I smashed our purchased ones in the compost pile last year and continued to put my rabbitry waste there and…well… this is about 75% of them.

A22F40BD-B9E4-4F33-8859-440A79C968C8.jpeg
72AF1C99-3AC2-41D6-9C22-3956CCB02925.jpeg
55F54FAC-2DCF-4314-B48B-C583CC41CAFC.jpeg
E6F2F82F-7B97-47BB-9373-94E78F5C08FE.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom