What attacked hen (UK)?

HollyWoozle

Crowing
5 Years
Jun 12, 2018
Bedfordshire, United Kingdom
Our hen Speckles was attacked by something today. We are in Bedfordshire, UK, and have never had a chicken attacked by anything other than a fox (and not in recent years).

The attack was during daylight hours today and took place inside a small coop which we leave open in the day (most of the chickens roost in a larger shed but one different hen lays and sleeps in that coop so it is left open). I know this as there are a mass of Speckles’ feathers inside. Speckles herself was found hiding in a shed corner maybe 10 metres away from attack site and has one wound that I can see - it is a bare patch in the middle of her back and it has essentially been skinned. Could not see any deep puncture wound. The patch is maybe something like 7cm long by 4 or 5cm across, roughly.

I am currently thinking of a mink or other mustelid but I don’t know how they attack? Other options would be fox (seems highly unlikely), cat, dog or rat. We do have cats but they are fine with the chickens and have never bothered them, plus I don’t think they would attack a medium-sized hen who was indoors. The neighbours do have two smallish dogs but they are contained and again the wound doesn’t seem like a dog bite. I can’t think that a rat would manage to wound a hen like that?

Any thoughts appreciated. Speckles is secure for tonight but I am now worried for the other chickens!

ETA: we are approximately 500 metres from the river and I believe mink don’t travel too far from fresh water, but we do also have a large pond/small lake on the property.

Last edited:
I don't think mustelid of any kind. They are usually successful at killing a chicken but you don't see many feathers because they just grab the head or neck and hold on till the bird dies and move on to the next bird.
Cats are a possibility since there is an extraordinary number of cats in the UK and most people sadly let them roam outside.
I'm thinking possibly a hawk. They aren't shy about flying into a building.

@the3quail I didn’t take one as was getting dark when I was cleaning her up but I can take one tomorrow.

@ChickenCanoe, thanks for your thoughts. The coop I assume she was attacked in is very small, designed for just a few hens. It has a run section attached so to go inside something has to go through a floor level door into the run and then through the door into the coop. I don’t know of anyone around here who has ever had a chicken attacked by a hawk as we don’t have many large birds here - we don’t generally worry about them as predators here (but who knows!).

We do have one cat who goes into the chicken’s area but he is not interested in them at all. There are many others around though!

I somehow doubt hawk. Living in England and then Ireland, I have not had any hawk attacks. That's in almost nine years.

Foxes, pine martens and mink are the ones we have had to worry about.

Another chicken seems a possibility, it's difficult to say without seeing it. Photos tomorrow will be excellent. Hopefully your girl heals quickly.

Our hen Speckles was attacked by something today. We are in Bedfordshire, UK, and have never had a chicken attacked by anything other than a fox (and not in recent years).

The attack was during daylight hours today and took place inside a small coop which we leave open in the day (most of the chickens roost in a larger shed but one different hen lays and sleeps in that coop so it is left open). I know this as there are a mass of Speckles’ feathers inside. Speckles herself was found hiding in a shed corner maybe 10 metres away from attack site and has one wound that I can see - it is a bare patch in the middle of her back and it has essentially been skinned. Could not see any deep puncture wound. The patch is maybe something like 7cm long by 4 or 5cm across, roughly.

I am currently thinking of a mink or other mustelid but I don’t know how they attack? Other options would be fox (seems highly unlikely), cat, dog or rat. We do have cats but they are fine with the chickens and have never bothered them, plus I don’t think they would attack a medium-sized hen who was indoors. The neighbours do have two smallish dogs but they are contained and again the wound doesn’t seem like a dog bite. I can’t think that a rat would manage to wound a hen like that?

Any thoughts appreciated. Speckles is secure for tonight but I am now worried for the other chickens!

ETA: we are approximately 500 metres from the river and I believe mink don’t travel too far from fresh water, but we do also have a large pond/small lake on the property.
I would put out a trail camera because it is highly likely it will be back. I would say it's a fox that got interrupted somehow, and that's why all the feathers but I would make sure the others are secured as well.

542AA208-B170-422C-8F43-F6CF10E5CB2B.jpeg

I’ll get a better photo later today but my Mum just sent me this (the chickens live at family home) and you can at least see the placement and size of the wound. Can also see that feathers are disturbed further up her back a bit as well.

She is eating and drinking and I think it’ll heal over OK. It looks a bit white just from antiseptic powder but I’ll put Neosporin on it today.

Thinking about getting a trail camera or perhaps hiding out there for a while to see what appears!

Back
Top Bottom