what breed and rooster or pullet?

Red one looks to be RIR x White rock.

Other one is most likely cochin x white rock.

I doubt she had Rhode Island Whites. They are very rare. They also have rose combs. Less than 3,000 birds existed in 2003 - so that's how rare they are.

Red one looks to be RIR x White rock.
Other one is most likely cochin x white rock.
I doubt she had Rhode Island Whites. They are very rare. They also have rose combs. Less than 3,000 birds existed in 2003 - so that's how rare they are.
wow I did not know they were rare m she said those were what she had, but yeah could be white rocks. thanks :)

wow I did not know they were rare m she said those were what she had, but yeah could be white rocks.  thanks :)
It depends on how well the people know their poultry. Some people are blatantly dishonest. I was sold red sex links when I first started with being told they were RIR. Didn't take me long to figure it out. I told her, and she was very angry at me. Some people are just like that. She may not know they are not Rhode Island White, she may actually be one of the few people that actually owns them (though why would she let them mix with other breeds instead of breeding true?) or she may be lying to you.

Hope it is the first one. Maybe she just doesn't know :)

As said above, very true. Hatcheries especially will do anything for money, so they begin selling birds like White Rock based mutts as "Rhode Island Whites" then people buy from them and believe them, then it goes down the line from there on to you. It happens very often.

The one on the right is a Production Red (some call it a Rhode Island Red, it's either but technically doesn't really fit as a true RIR, so, we call it a Production Red since that is what it is bred for. Egg production and a slightly reddish orange color) The one on the left is probably a mutt. Definitely not pure Cochin.

Back
Top Bottom