What breed and sex (If you can tell) am I?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Redhead Hen, May 22, 2010.

1. Redhead Hen

Redhead Hen Songster

Apr 14, 2009
    Rising Sun, Maryland
    This chick hatched out of a miss-marked egg. The egg said "Giant Cochin" and this is NOT a Giant Cochin. [​IMG] Here are some pics of the chick starting with a few days old up to now - about a month old. Thanks!! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here it is with some Buff Orp chicks the same age.
    [​IMG]

Now this is what it looks like today!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Shot looking straight down. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Oh and please tell me this is not a boy! It grew tail feathers as fast as my Buff Orp pullet! And My Buff Orp cockerel has redder waddles and comb. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks for looking! [​IMG]

2. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    Hmm, maybe a Welsummer? I kind-of looks like my Speckled Sussex, but not close enough to say that is what it is. I am leaning more towards Welsummer. And, I am also leaning towards roo with the comb and wattles.

3. Redhead Hen

Redhead Hen Songster

Apr 14, 2009
    Rising Sun, Maryland
    I'm not familiar with either one of those breeds. Guess I should go take a look! I know I had posted this chick as a baby and someone thought maybe a RIR or something similar. But I really was not feeling that was a good fit. Hummmmm ... maybe it's a cross between Speckeled Sussex and Welsummer? [​IMG] Ha!

4. nzpouter

nzpouter Songster

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    looks boy-ish...

5. tellynpeep

tellynpeep Songster

Oct 4, 2008
    SW New Hampshire
    I'm thinking speckled Sussex. I can't remember exactly how mine looked at that age, but one of them was very pale as a chick, not the typical "chipmunk" coloring. He is looking speckled though. Where did you get it?

6. Redhead Hen

Redhead Hen Songster

Apr 14, 2009
    Rising Sun, Maryland
    I hatched it from eggs my husband ordered. The seller has tons of breeds and can't tell us for sure what it is. Especially since the egg was marked as a Giant Cochin. [​IMG]

7. MaineChick

MaineChick In the Brooder

Nov 30, 2008
    Looks kinda like a bald eagle, doesn't it? [​IMG]

8. missred871

missred871 Eggxhausted Momma

May 5, 2010
    Perry GA
    looks like an EE roo to me. One of my EE roos looked just like that as a youngin. So I have to say EE roo. Sorry about the Roo part tho lol.

9. blefky

blefky life in the yard

Mar 18, 2010
    stamford, ct
    Not sure what it is, but it doesn't look anything like my Welsummers, or my RIR.

10. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I agree, it doesn't look anything like my welsummers. It does look to be a boy though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by