Sex

• Total voters

fivechicks715

Chirping
Jun 11, 2019
North Carolina
When getting our chickens we asked for one surprise rare breed chick- but had to be a female. They gave us this chick, and he/she has been developing much slower than the other girls, feather development is not as quick. Just this week the chick got feathers around her neck which has made her look more feminine. She is 5 weeks old and also appears to be taller with thicker legs, but I wonder if this is just because she isn't as fully developed or "fluffy butted" yet?

What are your thoughts on whether the chick is a male or female or cant tell this soon?
Also, they didn't tell us the breed, I am guessing lavender orpington, what are your thoughts?

4.jpg

this was he/she over a week ago ^

the below photos are he/she this week:
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

I am a new chicken owner so my education is limited.

Thanks!

Nothing apart from your description of the chick seems to indicate cockerel but the pics are not very clear and the chick is a bit young to be sure. I'm leaning pullet looking at the recent pics but better lighting and a couple more weeks of age should help to make it more certain

When getting our chickens we asked for one surprise rare breed chick- but had to be a female. They gave us this chick, and he/she has been developing much slower than the other girls, feather development is not as quick. Just this week the chick got feathers around her neck which has made her look more feminine. She is 5 weeks old and also appears to be taller with thicker legs, but I wonder if this is just because she isn't as fully developed or "fluffy butted" yet?

What are your thoughts on whether the chick is a male or female or cant tell this soon?
Also, they didn't tell us the breed, I am guessing lavender orpington, what are your thoughts?

View attachment 1810516
this was he/she over a week ago ^

the below photos are he/she this week:
View attachment 1810517

View attachment 1810520
View attachment 1810521
I am a new chicken owner so my education is limited.

Thanks!
Looks like a Lavender Orpington pullet. Lucky you, my lavender is my coolest chicken. She is super self-assured and friendly.

Nothing apart from your description of the chick seems to indicate cockerel but the pics are not very clear and the chick is a bit young to be sure. I'm leaning pullet looking at the recent pics but better lighting and a couple more weeks of age should help to make it more certain

Thank you, yes I noticed while trying to find a picture of her, that I have no good ones! will update in a week or so with better photos to see if opinions are the same.

Thank you, at what age do they get their adult feathering?
It's kind of a gradual multiple mini molt thing over time with some key sex specific hormonal milestones along the way. At 6-8 weeks breed should be pretty obvious. 10-14 weeks, if the comb hasn't already given it away the sex specific feathering comes in, and then after that the feathering just gets more and more obvious over time with each molt

Back
Top Bottom