What breed are these?

chikenfarmer

Chirping
Apr 3, 2016
NC
Hi I bought these chickens with the impression that they were salmon faverolles, but now I'm wondering because they look nothing like pics online I've seen of faverolles.. I hope they are not meat chickens. Wanted them for egg laying. Here goes, any input is welcome for sure
Ian

Welcome to BYC!
Your chicks are most definitely not SF - were they labeled/represented as such or was that your impression on seeing them as chicks? How old are they at this point? Given their relative size compared to the amount of feathering they have I would say it is safe to say they are not Cornish Cross/meat-birds. There are a few white feathered laying breeds that these could be - as they mature a bit more it will become more apparent which they are.

Yes they were labeled salmon faverolles at tractor supply :( right next to broilers. That's my concern. They are a couple days over a month old .only thing else that looks similar to me are Leghorn or road island whites. Guess I'll find out as they age hah.. Thank you old grey mare and friends

Next time they claim to have Faverolles, look for fluffy cheeks and 5 toes. The ones you have aren't meat birds. They could be Leghorns or white Rocks.

Yes they were labeled salmon faverolles at tractor supply :( right next to broilers. That's my concern. They are a couple days over a month old .only thing else that looks similar to me are Leghorn or road island whites. Guess I'll find out as they age hah.. Thank you old grey mare and friends

They are not broilers....could be legohorn,riw or white rock.....as they develop the build and then ear love color will factor into which they are.

One handy thing is to take your phone with you and do a quick Google of any breed you are unfamiliar with so you can key in on characteristics that are present or, in the case of these birds, lacking that would make or break the label being accurate.

Thanks everyone ! Sorry for the long delay but all the worry and wait . I'm pretty sure these are Leghorn and I was lucky they were all hens! Love the eggs. Thanks

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom