What breed do you have that is still laying in this cold weather?

My Black sex links lay everyday. No extra lighting, cold coop (been in teens lately). McMurray said they are egg laying machines and they sure are!

I'm in Central Virginia and this is what I have:

9 months old: SP Wyandotte, SS Hamburg, Red Leghorn, Cuckoo Maran, White Silkie
6 months old: Welsummer, Golden Lakenvelder, Easter Egger

I have no extra lighting in the coop and everybody free-ranges as much as they want.
All of the older birds stopped laying in October (no extra lights in coop), while the silkies were broody and raised some chicks.

Two weeks ago, I started finding eggs again and now I have a silkie, a lakenvelder and either the hamburg or leghorn laying one egg a day.

I'm in SE PA and the temps have been between 38 and 10 degrees during the day and nights. My sweet little Princess Willamena who is a bantam white crested polish has been laying pretty regularly. She lays 3 days in a row with the next day off. Cute little eggs.

My buff orpington, some of my brahmas, my silkies and my EE hen are all laying. The EE hen lays one large bluish egg every other day without fail. My buff orpington lays one every other day without fail. The rest lay sporadically -I get 5 or 6 eggs max per day, even though I have 17 hens that could be laying. My buff and dark brahmas have just reached the age to begin laying, some have not turned red on comb or wattles, but the ones that have turned red are now laying. My EE is recoverying from bumble foot and is broody and sitting on 3 large bluish eggs. She is not supposed to be laying once she has gone broody, right? I marked the 3 original eggs with a tiny piece of bandaid and if she lays any more, I'm removing them from the nest to the frig, so only 3 will hatch. It has been as low as 15 degrees, but has now moved into the low to mid 20's and is supposed to begin a warming trend tomorrow with mid to upper 30's at night and up to 50 during the daylight hours. You never know with chickens - they are full of surprises.

Unheated coop, partially insulated in Wisconsin. Outdoor temp (not windchill) has been as low as -8* at night and mostly in the teens daytime for a while. Today 33* high!!!!!! Coop never got colder than 16* once or twice, mostly stayed 20's, occasionally low to mid 30's. Days that stay in the single digits and nights in single digits or colder I turn a 250 w red heatlamp on by the food/water. Chickens hatched this spring, the GLWs are laying through the cold weather. EE is still a freeloader but today in and out of nestbox and antsy (hope????). My BR has not started laying yet, she hatched in August. I did supplement 1-2 hrs light in December, stopped that early January.

my EEs have forgot what an egg is. Nothing since their molt. They are fat and happy though. They layed great for a solid year, but now nothing. i won't do EEs again. I want eggs. They are pretty though.

My 2 Delawares and 2 Black Stars are steadily giving me 3-4 eggs daily.

The foofy Houdan - the only white egglayer - has been on strike since November.

When we had deepfreeze temps - teens and single digits - it was so cold in the coop that sometimes the eggs froze after being laid.
I gather eggs when I get home from work, after 5P.
The screened door to the coop was left open on all but the very coldest days.

I just let the uncracked frozen eggs warm at room temp and they are fine to use.

My Barred Rocks, Cuckoo Marans, Leghorns and Easter Eggers are still laying. We have had 13 consecutive days with lows in the teens and the highs in the 30's. But, they also have a light on them to extend the daylight hours.

Back
Top Bottom