What breed don't you appreciate?

Quote:
This is the funniest post I've read in a long while!
lau.gif

I don't like turkens at all but we have considered getting some because of their egg laying capabilities. I resisted silkies until I saw pictures of chellester's silkies for sale here on byc and sclanimals hatched them for me- 4 out of 6 hatched and she will be bringing them to me this Friday! We'll see how we like them. I personally don't like the looks of polish, but my wife does, so I think I see them in my future. I don't like partridge rocks- the three I had ran for their lives no matter what happened- especially when I threw treats for all the birds. OH! and showgirls and frizzles have to go- they look sickly to me.

Let me jump in.
Any of the frilly, bred-for-looks birds rankle me. I'm a utliitarian man and figure a chicken should look like, well, a chicken.... not some mop head or science experiment gone all wrong.

Silkies? No
Frizzles? Not a chance
Faverolles? Houdans? Polish? Nope, no, nyet.
But the worst? TURKENS

I even started a group, SNONN, which stands for
"Say NO to Naked Necks."
You can visit us on the web at:

www.SNONN.org

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif

that last part was way to funny but sorry I can't join as I have 10 NN's and a bator full of all the others you posted..

Mindy

Quote:
Those are some hideous birds. At a local duckpond I swear I saw one that looked just like Darth Maul's evil(er) twin brother.

Hi!
You all are REALLYREALLYREALLY funny!

Any breed that is overly aggressive or is/was bred to be aggressive is not welcome here.

I'm not a fan of red, gold, buff, brown-y colored birds --- regardless of the breed.

Beauty is certainly in the eye of the beholder
smile.png

I like breeds and crosses that look 'un-chicken-like' and the MORE unusual, the better.

wink.png

Lisa

Let me jump in.
Any of the frilly, bred-for-looks birds rankle me. I'm a utliitarian man and figure a chicken should look like, well, a chicken.... not some mop head or science experiment gone all wrong.

Silkies? No
Frizzles? Not a chance
Faverolles? Houdans? Polish? Nope, no, nyet.
But the worst? TURKENS

I even started a group, SNONN, which stands for
"Say NO to Naked Necks."
You can visit us on the web at:

www.SNONN.org

I just gotta say:

WELCOME BACK, DAVID!!!!!!!!!!
big_smile.png
You have been missed!​

This is just hilarious. I'd have to say turkens and guineas(sp?). The turkens remind me of the vultures we seem to be overrun with around here(all of the chicken farms attract them because of the stench) and those guineas...well, that sound they make strikes a raw nerve with me. Give me the sound of a rooster's crow, hen's cluck/squawk, or the sound of my hound dog hot on the trail ANYDAY!

Quote:
Hm, now that you mention colour, I absolutly dislike all "warm" colours, weather they be on a chicken or a colours in my paint set(the only colours that I have NEVER used).

Although a deep dark red can be nice. No buff though. White I rarely like on any bird either. Only white birds right now are my light phase snow geese, a royal palm tom and 2 white rock hens(which are up for sale since their colour just does not mix well with my flock).
And for some reason I am not a big fan of Golden laced birds. Or campine pattern ones.

Anna

You guys are cracking me up!
lol.png
lol.png
lol.png

On the breeds, I'm mostly with the majority here. I don't particularly care for feathered feet, or birds that are blind from huge mop tops, or turkens, or silkies, or modern games. Showgirls are good for staring at, but I wouldn't want to own one. OTOH, I really like frizzles -- they look like they've been blow-dried backwards, and they amuse me!

In colors, I don't much like any of the dull colors -- blue and so on. The shinier they are, the better, so far as I'm concerned. I love patterns in the feathers -- spangled, speckled, penciled, laced. YUM!!
love.gif

I basically don't like birds that are bred for what is essentially a genetic defect, anything basically unhealthy, or anything that can be lethal or unhealthy in the homozygous form: this includes Frizzles and Araucanas, and the Silkies with the "vaulted skulls." I think chickens, and any animal for that matter, should be bred for overall genetic health and vigor. So, even though I'm none too fond of how some of the breeds look, I'm pretty much fine with them if they're healthy, and yes, that includes any Silkies *without* the vaulted skulls and any Naked Necks thriving happily in a hot desert area
cool.png

No offense to any who breed for these qualities, just stating my own preference.

Just on a more positive note: I like any big, robust farm chicken or proud, healthy bantam. I like any well-kept bird, whether it has feathered feet or not. I pretty much like any happy, healthy bird.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom