What breed is my blue chick with black legs??

I bought them from a breeder that has many different birds. About a dozen different types of chickens, plus ducks, geese, peafowl, guineas, etc. I sent my DH to get 6 BR and he decided to get 10 to make sure we got enough hens. Well, 4 of them looked like BR, but 5 of them had feathered legs, and then the one with black legs. So I called and asked what my DH actually had bought. The man said he must've mistakenly put some Cuckoo Marans in the box. (the ones with feathered legs) I told him there was another one without a headspot and he told me not all BR have spots. I was given the choice to keep them or exchange them and I opted to exchange them for BR's. He wasn't very pleasant, so I'm not wanting to call him again! So that is why I am asking here.

well it's not a barred rock and i believe they all do have spots on the noggins.

i cannot see the comb well. what type is it? that may be helpful info to solve the mystery.

they are born with their combs, they just aren't 'poofy' yet.
lol.png

if it is flat it could be rose comb or pea comb.

Lady Jayne, I just noticed you are from Michigan. So am I, but on the west side of the mitten.
Someone thought this chick may be a cochin. But any pictures I've looked at shows them with feathered legs.

I thought it looked similar to pictures of Orpingtons also. But the breeder only advertised Buff Opringtons. I found the ad where I bought it from and these are the types of chickens he was selling. Is the Araucana the same as EE. And it's not a Bantam because it's the same size as the BR's.

Barred Rocks
Rhode Island Reds
Buff Orpingtons
Araucanas
Light Brahmas
Phoenix-Barred Cochins
Cornish Rocks
White Leghorn
Old English Game Bantams
Cuckoo Marans

I still think it looks more like an Easter Egger than anything else, even if the legs aren't just the right shade. I'm not an expert by any means (obviously lol). You can learn more about the Amerucana/Easter Egger link by looking at the breeds section at the top here.

Edited to say that true Araucanas are not common and many people who think they have them have Ameraucanas.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom