What breed is my blue chick with black legs??

preppy*hippie*chick wrote:
Don't Ameraucanas have those dark legs?

they have willow green legs. EE's have slate gray legs.

You have it backwards. Ameraucanas do not have willow legs. Slate is the only allowed leg colour, except that blacks may have black legs or slate legs.

EEs have absolutely no standard, so while willow is common, it is not at all required or necessary.

---

All barred chicks (whether rocks or a different breed) have a head spot. Black sex-links are another matter--the spot (or lack thereof) indicates gender.

---

Cochins all have feathered legs.

---

The chick looks to have a pea comb. I am assuming that the skin is not dark, just the legs? I am not an ameraucana breeder, but if the skin is light, that is my best guess. I don't know how old or developed it would need to be for an ameraucana breeder to determine if it looks like an ameraucana or is an EE.​

Quote:
thank you for correcting me! from now on, i am not allowed to type after 10 pm!
lol.png
no more late nights!
th.gif

Don't know if this will help but as a chick it looks similar to two of my just hatched chicks which are Black Sex Link X BLRW. I don't know how they'll feather though.

3524054270_4aa7c49f47.jpg

The others are EE X BLRW, which is another possibility.

Last edited:
Quote:
they have willow green legs. EE's have slate gray legs.

Not exactly. True Ameraucanas have slate legs. EEs can have any color under the sun, but are often green. Where did you get the chick?

Oops, sorry! Posted at the same time. Not fast enough, am I?

i dunno what the breed of your baby is....but your chick looks very much like my little blue andalusian! she is the friendliest of all my chicks and flies up to be petted and held. she got the name 'Legs' because her legs seemed particularly long as a chick. my andalusians seem to have a slightly smaller and slimmer build than some of the other chicks...what is your chick like compared to the others? if it has a smaller build i would guess blue andalusian...if it has a larger build i would guess blue orpington....this is assuming it has a single comb.....?

these pics aren't great... but here is a pic of her a few days old:

DSCN6828.jpg

and a few weeks old...checking out her sisters....

DSCN6976.jpg

and older...

DSCN7073.jpg

hope it helps!

Last edited:
Quote:
thank you for correcting me! from now on, i am not allowed to type after 10 pm!
lol.png
no more late nights!
th.gif

Thats true no typing after 10:00 p. I think she/he is a mix...of some sort. It will be interesting to watch gro-up.

Back
Top Bottom