What breed is my rooster?

New Chick2

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 24, 2014

??  - he certainly does not appear like either a red or black sex link rooster -- -- I'd go with barnyard mix.

Pretty believable, I guess. We sort of just 'ended up with' chickens. We really didn't 'go get' them where we could ask questions or read a sign :/ but I truly enjoy them.

But still, if a black or red sex-link isn't a breed, what does that mean and how does it differentiate them from a barnyard mix?

But still, if a black or red sex-link isn't a breed, what does that mean and how does it differentiate them from a barnyard mix?
A sex link is a specific cross that is used to produce chicks who hatch being able to be sexed on sight (there "sex" is "linked" to their appearance - hence the term/name) - for Red Sex links the females hatch red and males hatch white, black sex links hatch black but males have a white/yellow spot/dot on the head. As they mature they maintain these differences in that male red sex links mature white with red patches on the wings, etc and females mature mostly red with white "highlights" for lack of a better term that can be vary in the amount over the body. Black sex links mature with males that are barred and females that are black with copper colored "collars" on their body. The are sold under all sorts of dressed up names (kind of like designer dogs) like comets, stars, queens, etc with the color black, red, gold put before the pretty name -- but they are all red/black sex links.

Red Black

Barnyard mixes are just that - mixed breed birds

Last edited:
A sex link is a specific cross that is used to produce chicks who hatch being able to be sexed on sight (there "sex" is "linked" to their appearance - hence the term/name) - for Red Sex links the females hatch red and males hatch white, black sex links hatch black but males have a white/yellow spot/dot on the head. As they mature they maintain these differences in that male red sex links mature white with red patches on the wings, etc and females mature mostly red with white "highlights" for lack of a better term that can be vary in the amount over the body. Black sex links mature with males that are barred and females that are black with copper colored "collars" on their body. The are sold under all sorts of dressed up names (kind of like designer dogs) like comets, stars, queens, etc with the color black, red, gold put before the pretty name -- but they are all red/black sex links. Red Black Barnyard mixes are just that - mixed breed birds
Thank you! I know these are pretty basic questions but it seems we do enjoy our chickens enough that they will likely become a major part of the farm operation at some point. I guess I'd rather ask dumb questions and learn than not ask and not learn. :p

Back
Top Bottom