What breed is the most productive layer?

Toast

In the Brooder
12 Years
Aug 7, 2007
Hi! I have 5 red stars, 6 buff orpingtons and an EE. I will be buying more hens in the spring and I just want a VERY efficient egg machine! It would be awesome if the chicken was an excellent forager too and could handle harsh winters since we're in the midwest. I was even looking into getting ducks (the khaki campbells) although I'd rather stick with chickens, but at this point, I just want daily eggs from each hen!
smile.png
I don't care about appearance or novelty.

IMHO Sex Links are egg laying machine, do some research on them. I have 2 Black Sex Links that lay an egg a day. They are cold hardy and friendly birds. I will get more in the spring.

I almost always get 5 eggs a day from my 5 sex-links. It's the real rarity when I don't get an egg from each hen. So far this month, that has happened only twice -- and when it happens I check out every nook and cranny that might have looked like a nice place to leave an egg, cuz it takes a lot to convince me one of them took a day off.

I think many breeds will give you an egg a day with the proper diet,
shelter, and treatment. Our 2 White Leghorns give us an egg a day and they
are HUGE(the eggs). The birds are around 8 months old. Our Buff Orp, Speckled Sussex,
Australorps, and JG are also at an egg a day but the eggs are a little smaller.

It helps if you give them a kiss on the beak and a nice little rub on the back.
They like to know they're loved.

If I had to make a living off my egglayers then White Leghorns would be my
first choice. They are also very friendly and comical chickens.

My Rhode Island reds lay an egg a day, too.

I had never heard of Sex Links until I read this thread. I joked with my hubby that I was going to get myself in trouble doing a google search for "sex links" lol. But I added chicken to the search and whadaya know! First hit. Sex links--who knew!

Cassandra

Quote:
I just won't demonstrate it on your avatar. That thing scares me. Instead of laying
an egg do you think it will lay on my stump with it's neck stretched out?

Back
Top Bottom