What breed is the quietest roo?

I've heard that Orpingtons are fairly quiet for standards, but you would probably have the best luck with a bantam rooster.
My bantams are not as loud as standard fowl, but they're shrill ... and get up just as early. Your best bet for a rooster is to bring him inside at night and put him out again in the morning. That's the only way your neighbors won't hear the loud crowing in the morning. They won't ... but YOU will!
We have had an indoor/outdoor roo for the longest time - Herman the House Rooster. He spent his first year inside and still comes in occasionally, but now he mostly stays out with his harem, only coming in during the worst of the winter. He's a non-bearded Silkie, and he has a deep, almost baritone voice (at least for a chicken!) He sounds so sad - even when he's ecstatically happy - that we call him our "Melancholy Rooster!"
EDIT to fix a typo ...

Last edited:
My rooster had a health issue couple yeas ago. Brought him inside.
Never bring a rooster inside your home. You only THINK he begins crowing at 5am!
4:30 every morning, like clockwork ... and every time a car drives by with the headlights on ... and every time someone gets up to use the bathroom ... and every time the dog woofs in her sleep ... and every time the cat knocks something off a counter ... and ...

Thanks all! I’ve decided to get a rooster when the fall shipment comes in. I’m going to bring him inside during the night.
If you ask around on your State Thread, here, I'll bet you'll find a sweet-tempered cockerel or rooster that someone wants to rehome ... and the bonus will be that you can listen to his crow first and decide if you can deal with his voice!

Back
Top Bottom