er... AmerIcana isn't a breed. Its another name for an easter egger... which also isn't a breed.
I apologize for misspelling Mala's breed. She is an "Ameraucana". The Ameraucana was originally developed in the 1970s, derived from the Araucana. The "Ameraucana" breed was admitted into the standard of Perfection by the American Poultry Association in 1984.

Ameraucana only lay blue eggs. I may have read wrong, but if your pullet is laying brown eggs, she is likely an Easter Egger.

That's what I found, too. I've also found there's a lot of controversy among chicken-keepers regarding breeds. My Mala is an "Ameraucana", originally developed in the 1970s, derived from the Araucana. Due to genetic variations about 5% of hatchlings may lay eggs where the outside shell is green or brown instead of blue, but the interior of the shell is always blue. The "Ameraucana" breed was admitted into the standard of Perfection by the American Poultry Association in 1984.
Which one is Mala? I don't see pics of a brown bird.

You were absolutely correct, thanks! They are Blue Wyandottes. They turned out to be beautiful birds, but that's where it ends.
They are? Interesting!
Looking back at the pics it appears that they have straight combs though.

Back
Top Bottom