What breed is your broody?

our original broody was a little black banny from the "assorted bantams" bin at tractor supply. she was also the first chicken we purchased and the reason that all of this madness started
smile.png
she may or may not get to be broody depending on how many chicks we end up with this spring (we just got 17 from a lady the other day)

our pretty BLR Wyandotte has been on a nest of eggs and they should be hatching and minute now or maybe tomorrow. because they saw her doing it i have a black sexlink and a polish mix setting along with her in close by nesting boxes. approx 35-ish eggs. more babies to come than the total current flock. *facepalm*

I have a broody on eggs right now. She is supposed to be pure Dominique, but I suspect there's some cuckoo marans in there somewhere. She's amazing. Last year I had a dozen guineas that had been hatched out by a foster mommy. The foster mom got eaten by something when her brood was about eleven weeks old, and Inky, my dominique, took all of them on, She was only about four or five months old herself at the time. Then she went broody in the winter, but I had to break her because my cockerel wasn't even mounting the hens yet. She went broody early this month and I let her get good and settled on some fake eggs before putting some real eggs in under her. It's funny. The guineas still love her. When she leaves the nest every couple of days for her fifteen minutes of running around, eating, drinking, dust bathing and pooping the guineas are right there chattering at her. She cackle-grumbles the whole time. It's very cute.
Hatch day is this Wednesday and I am SO freaking excited!

75821_imag0413.jpg

Traci

I have a Bl;ack Australorp setting for the first time. First time for her and me. I have hatched with an incubator alot but this is the first for one of my girls. Thi is her third day and she is on 7 eggs. She looks like a black feathered blanket with a head
lau.gif
I hear they are good mommies. I sure hope so.

mine are silkies of course....and they are ALWAYS broody!!!!!!!!!!
roll.png

EDIT TO ADD PIC:
broodymamma003.jpg

Last edited:
Both of my Silkie's that are a year old have gone broody this Spring. First time for all of us.
yippiechickie.gif
Our First clutch hatched 1 chick but she died a week later
hit.gif
and now our other Silkie is 9 days into sitting on 8 eggs.
yippiechickie.gif

I don't know what breed my MsFuzzy is, I think a silked DorkingX, she has 5 toes, pink skin, and a single comb.
She's broody and getting chicks in a day or 2. She went broody the week after I sent my second batch of eggs, so I gave her a few to hatch out and keep, but they were all clear, so I was going to give her some of the ones that hatched out, but one of my friends is hatching some chicks this weekend and wanted to trade a few, so she's been sitting on golfballs until the new chicks come.
72239_msfuzzy_003.jpg

Here's a pic of her standing
wink.png

72239_chicken1.jpg

my broody white laced red cornish hatched 5 chicks last tuesday

81936_hpim0349.jpg

This pic was taken on the 29, she hatched 2 chicks that day

Last edited by a moderator:
New broodies this week are another OEGB and another OEG. Currently I have 1 OEG hen with 4 LF chicks, 1 OEGB hen with 1 bantam chick
roll.png
2 silkie/cochin mixes 'sharing' 5 silkie/cochin X silkie/cochin chicks
lol.png
, and 1 d'uccles/OEGB hen with 5 silkies, 1 bantam cochin, and 1 mille fleur d'uccles (all pure) chicks
lol.png

I need to get a pic of the OEGB hen that's started setting this week. The nest she decided to set in was intended for our pigeons so it's about 10' off the ground
ep.gif

Last edited:
My first broody was Buffy the Vampire Slaying Orpington; it was her first time and she hatched my very first GrandChick.

My second broody was Shirley Welsummer, and she hatched four chicks.

Then my little Silver Sebright Alice went broody, and she just left the nest about 3 days ago, but she'd been joined by Shirley who has now taken over the nest box. So this is Shirley's second episode.

And then there's Angel, a bantam EE who looked like this two days ago:

41679_broodyangel.jpg

..and today she has six chicks. (She hatched a total of 8, but two met with misadventure before I got out there this morning and secured the space for the new family.)

Back
Top Bottom