What breed or breeds is this roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by bahamabanty, Feb 27, 2015.

1. bahamabanty

bahamabanty Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2013
    Bahamas
    I crossed red stars with a leghorn/easter egger mix, very dominant white.
    7 hatched pure white and this rooster came out brown. Is this a throwback from whatever mix the redstar is? Can someone tell me what kind of cross or breeds they see in him? He is 4 weeks.
    Thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Only brown roo, with one of his white sisters

[​IMG]

Mom and dad
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  2. Eon69nc

Eon69nc Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2014
    Sure looks like a throwback. With the mix you have, you wont have all hatch white. Genetics are so kewl, you just never know what you will get. He has a nice comb on him already. Loved the pics.

1 person likes this.
  3. bahamabanty

bahamabanty Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2013
    Bahamas
    7 hatched white, some roos some hens, but all white, like the hen on the picture..he was the only brown one.

4. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    It is a Punnett Square throw back, likely from whatever is on the other side of the EE as the Red Star would be something like a New Hampshire Red or RIR for the color based bird and a Delaware or Silver Wyandotte.

Your white is not completely dominant as neither parent bird is totally white...Red Star is red with white tipping; EE is white with brown barring for the male.

The other side of the EE could be anything including something darker brown.

Mixed breeds bring a mixed bag color and shape...but also tend to have wonderful hybrid vigor.

Lady of McCamley

1 person likes this.
  5. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    Maybe you should try another batch and see what color next chicks are. Maybe they are sex linked.

1 person likes this.
  6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by