What breed was my roo (pic)?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by angeldoxie1, Sep 15, 2010.

1. angeldoxie1

angeldoxie1 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2010
    I'm sorry I don't have a better pic of him. He was killed by a dog we used to have (now in the pound). This was when he was a little younger then when he died, and I thought he was
    a brahma. But he wasn't big or fattish looking, and he had a single comb. Plus he had very little feathering on his legs. Unlike the feathered shanks and feet on brahmas that I've seen.
    Is he a mix of something? He does look like a Delaware a little.. But as far as I know, Delawares don't have feathered legs.

[​IMG]

This is him when he was a chick.

[​IMG]

And him eating with the girls.

[​IMG]

2. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    A Columbian Plymouth Rock..

Chris

3. chickenboy21

chickenboy21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Quote:thats what i was thinking, but that still doesnt explain the feathers on the feet... it has to be a cross of some sort

Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
  4. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:thats what i was thinking, but that still doesnt explain the feathers on the feet... it has to be a cross of some sort

I see the feathered feet part now.. [​IMG] I jumped the gun...

With the Feathered feet and single comb I would have to say a Columbian pattern Cochin. Or at least a Cochin cross...

Chris

5. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    A Cochin would be more heavily feathered on it's legs than a Brahma. If it's legs were sparsely feathered I'd assume a cross of some sort.

6. V Comb

V Comb Chillin' With My Peeps

I would say Sussex X, but they are are rare in the US, not like here.

7. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Any chance you got him from Murray McMurray? . . . I've got a "purebred Brahma" from them who has a single comb and feathered shanks like him, pretty sure she's a Sussex or Columbian Rock cross. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. angeldoxie1

angeldoxie1 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2010
    Quote:he had feathers on the legs like that pic... but no we got him from a livestock auction along with the other girls. he didnt have tail feathers like that though. and there was some yellow or tannish color in his feathers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by