What breed will you never have again? Me? It's...

Uggg never again another polish. These were factory birds. Dear lord how stupid can a bird be. And its not just cause they are blind I trimmed the feathers. They were still dumber than a rock. I have babief them and spent so much time and money giving them their own little space and protection. Still out of 6 I only have 2 still alive. ( I have raised 54 other birds from chicks and lost none of those) With those 2 who are just under a year I have had to give medical intervention 3 times to keep them going. They are cute and as babies they are adorable but never, ever again.

Quote:
My 19 week old roo, Sammy, couldn't be nicer. I have 3 other roos and he won't stand up to any of them. He learned to crow at 12 weeks and stopped two days later because the alpha roo told him to pipe down. Now that the Alpha roo went camping, he still won't crow. My husband says he looks like Dr. John. He's kinda round and as a result he runs funny. I think I agree with another poster, RIR's aren't my favorite, at least the roo's not.

Quote:
I am really surprised about the RIR's. As a kid, they were pretty much all I could get at the feed store. My dad would drive me down there and have me pick out what I wanted. They only had straight runs at that time. So of course, I ended up w/ roos. I never had any problems w/ any of my roos. They were wonderful. I think if I had one spur me or be mean, I would not be the wimp I am about not slaughtering my own chickens.

Nancy

I do not like my Welsummer. She jumps on all the other hens even though she's not the head girl. Plus she lays the wierdest egg, brown fading to white. My blue Wyandotte and her splash BLR baby are the sweetest girls. They always hang around me when I'm out in the yard and the BLR loves to sit in my lap and take a nap.

Silver spangled hamburgs. I had some of these a number of years ago, and they were about like trying to keep sparrows. They were wild, wild, wild. I could never catch them. They would fly higher and farther than any other chicken I have ever seen. They would get loose and they would roost up in the rafters of the barn where I couldn't get to them. Mine were beautiful birds, but totally frustrating to try to deal with.

The meanest roosters I've ever had (and I've had a number of different ones) was a RIR and a black bantem cochin. I still have a scar on my knee from the RIR from years ago. That black bantem cochin was a drop-dead gorgeous show bird, won just about everything the kids showed him in, but in spite of all the winnings, my son wanted to eat him!

We had some polish and houdans. Ours were very calm and the kids played with them a lot. My daughter was handicapped due to a brain tumor, and because these were easy to catch, they were her favorite. We always kept them separate, and we never had any problems with them. She loved them.

I've never had Brahmas or Polish. I've really enjoyed all of my birds, except for the Buff Minorca freebies from McMurray! They were EXTREMELY flighty, and poor layers of white eggs that stained very easily. They were way to skinny to be worth butchering, so I traded them to a neighbor for some Cinnamon Queens.

Also, I've read a lot about mean RIR roosters, and just wanted to share that I got 18 RIR roos from McMurray and butchered 16 of them at eight months old, and kept two for breeding. None of them ever attacked me. Ever. Both of the breeding roos have been very nice to me and their hens (they're now 20 months old). I just don't want anyone getting turned off to one of my favorite breeds.
wink.png

Silkies. They are cute, but they lay tiny eggs. Then as soon as one small egg materializes from somewhere the whole lot of hens goes broody. At one point I had 6 broody girls and one completely lost silkie roo. No one would come out and play with him so he spent his days sitting in various nest boxes for company.

Not to mention my first silkie roo was the meanest thing ever. What a snot.

Back
Top Bottom