What breeds don't mind being held

OntChickenLady

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 20, 2014
I'm looking for breeds of chicken right now that are very friendly and don't mind being picked up and cuddled I have an autistic sister and she loves to hold the chickens and cuddle them can anyone recommend any breeds?

It has more to do with how they are treated in the brooder then what breed they are. I like production reds because they seem to handle my adhd son very well. While in the brooder you want to handle them as often as you can and if you can reach in from the side instead of the top. Reaching in from above triggers their flight response because they are prey animals. If you have to reach in from the top then do it slowly and put your hand on the bottom of the brooder with feed in your hand. Do this often so they are used to coming to you and being picked up. I also have some really good polish that like to be held but they tend to get flighty with loud noises or really quick movements outside. Though silkies like to be held I would stay away from them in your case. They tend to go broody often and can become aggressive with anything that gets near their nest. Your sister may not understand broody protection instincts. When you are able to handle your chicks in the brooder try to have your sister help pet them so they get used to her as well. Good luck with your venture, I'm sure she will love them too!

Hiiiiii, Well i currently have pekin bantams think they can also be called something else... anyway i love them... they're so cute and fluffy and very calm. they don't scratch.. cause they can't due to the feathers on their feet... but if you want a layer these aren't for you aha cause they lay tiny eggs and stop for a few months around winter! because they're bantams they're rather small and i used to have a little lady who would hop right into your lap when she saw you! The grey girlie with my brother below :) The top photo is me (with casper the cockerel) and my brother (with Rosa). They do go broody a lot because they're natural mothers but thats the only time they've ever pecked me.

Hope i helped, Rebecca xox

I start them young. Tap the floor and place your hand ' Palm up ' between their legs and gently lift them off the ground.
Chickens don't like being clasped from above, it's a predator thing. Lifting them gently between the legs is exactly how the youngsters are taught in showmanship . As for breed , you can't go past a silkie for cuddliness.

I start them young. Tap the floor and place your hand ' Palm up ' between their legs and gently lift them off the ground.
Chickens don't like being clasped from above, it's a predator thing. Lifting them gently between the legs is exactly how the youngsters are taught in showmanship . As for breed , you can't go past a silkie for cuddliness.
Thank you so much for this tip! x

Thanks for the advice :) I'll be sure to start working with them young I was lucky enough to find ones that were hand raised well as chicks when I bought my adult birds even the rooster lets my sister pet him as long as she doesn't mess up his feathers lol But its important to me to find very docile breeds as their like a therapy animal for my sister the way she reacts to them is just amazing

Back
Top Bottom