What brooder can I do next?

Vachicklady1975

Chirping
Mar 1, 2019
I have my ducks in a 50 gallon tote. There are 6 of them about 2 weeks old as a guess, I got them from tsc. They are growing quickly, so at what heat temp can they go out in their house without heat to brood in? Or do I need to find something bigger for another few weeks? We are building the house in a week. The run will be built thereafter. I know they need to be fully feathered to have free run of the outside. Do they start to pick at each other or themselves if the area gets too small, like chicks. I'm not trying to keep them in a small area just want to know where to go from here. 4 pekin and 2 either chocolate runners or khakis, we dont know yet. 6 total. I am attaching the setup now and size sticker.
20190315_103545.jpg
20190315_103536.jpg

I have had to step our brooder 2 times now....in three weeks. I am now up to a 100gal. stock tank for my ducks.
Would it just be better to get a stock tank to put the ducks in? Would 100 gal be enough until they can go outside? I live in Virginia outside Richmond area. We are getting nicer weather but in the mornings it can be in the 30s. I dont want to rush them and they get sick. I also dont want to keep them in cramped quarters.

I used two dog kennels tops off and doors one extra large the other large placed them with the openings Facing each other and tie wrapped them together one end had feed and water set up the other side had the heat lamp and stuffed animals for sleeping. This set up lasted 5 weeks

They say that they should start at 95°F and then lower heat 5°F each week.
I have found that after 2 weeks if I slowly lower the temps about 7°F to 10°F each week I can get them outside without added heat at about 6 weeks as long as nights don't dip below 50°F. I also make them a woolly hen when I get them and then have bigger ones they can get into once they grow. The woolly hen in the coop really helps get them out of the house faster.

Back
Top Bottom