What can i have as a Duck coop substrate

Ducklingdad

Hatching
Aug 19, 2023
Hi all, really hoping for some help and advise.
My current duck coop is a disaster due to these last few months of rain rain and more rain in the UK.
It's a 8m x 3m thick muddy slip and slide.
I've recently just erected a fully sheltered run/coop so will now keep the rain off, but what can I use as a durable, sustainable substrate for such a large area.
Any help at all is much appreciated 🙏🙏🙏

A lot of people use wood chips. I use combination of construction sand (not play sand) and pea gravel.
If you go with wood chips, they shouldnt be a fine cut, but rather larger chunks. and dont use cedar its toxic to birds.

Hi all, really hoping for some help and advise.
My current duck coop is a disaster due to these last few months of rain rain and more rain in the UK.
It's a 8m x 3m thick muddy slip and slide.
I've recently just erected a fully sheltered run/coop so will now keep the rain off, but what can I use as a durable, sustainable substrate for such a large area.
Any help at all is much appreciated 🙏🙏🙏
Do you mean outdoors in the run or inside the coop?
I'm also in the UK, I cover my pen with tarpaulin and that prevents too much mud, but it's always a little muddy and wet around their pond. I need to fix that.
I use a nice deep bed of big pine wood shavings, I buy it in bulk and it happens to be dust extracted which is great. In the summer I also use a small nest of hay in one nest box, in the winter a big bed of straw in both nest boxes. It's works well so far but I am about to change their set up and there's some modifications to be made, so would take others advice for the run.

Do you mean outdoors in the run or inside the coop?
I'm also in the UK, I cover my pen with tarpaulin and that prevents too much mud, but it's always a little muddy and wet around their pond. I need to fix that.
I use a nice deep bed of big pine wood shavings, I buy it in bulk and it happens to be dust extracted which is great. In the summer I also use a small nest of hay in one nest box, in the winter a big bed of straw in both nest boxes. It's works well so far but I am about to change their set up and there's some modifications to be made, so would take others advice for the run.
Yes sorry I meant the run itself, not their little house 🤣.

Back
Top Bottom