What can I learn from this outcome??? Pics - One ODD CHICK!

Quote:
Hahaha... I appreciate that, but I need every last one from this hatch! Out of 2 dozen eggs I only got the 3 chicks. I may need to put the parents back together at some point, I'm not sure. If for no other reason than to see if this happens again! But they REALLY didn't like eachother much... so I should only do it if I MUST!

I hear that a hen can still be fertile for 2 weeks after removing a roo. Is it possible that another roo could have still been responsible for the dark one?

Well, it was a thought.
th.gif

Quote:
It's a valid thought for sure. before that she was with the Blue rooster but I never saw her want to mate.. which is one of the reasons it took so long with the new guy, neither girls were really interested, and neither was he!!!

So.. if it was longer than that.. it would be a blue rooster...
If they can mate through wood & wire... they were next to the Black Orpingtons...
idunno.gif
I suppose if worse comes to worse, we'll know more as the feathers start coming in...

Dawn, thanks for sharing these chicks. This is very interesting. I love the GLW you have. He is very beautiful. So are your buff hens. I look forward to seeing how the dark chick turns out.

emvickrey wrote:
I hear that a hen can still be fertile for 2 weeks after removing a roo. Is it possible that another roo could have still been responsible for the dark one?

You have that right. I had a Black Australorp break into my Buff pen and the chicks are a wild looking bunch. The hens were not flushed out for 19 days. I hatched all out till I started getting Buffs again. That is my only mutt mix chick I have

Dawn is that BoB or Steve? Who ever, he is a fantastic Buff boy.​

Three of 20 is rough odds. He is really interesting. You're gonna have to see if you can reproduce him and of course continue to post LOTS of pics of all three...

I love watching colors I don't have develop.

PS the girls are still sitting three good eggs, two quit. Due next week.

Julie - thank you VERY much. He's the best looking GLW I could find and he has a really subdoed personality so we really like him.. his name is Pierre.

Bill - yes that is Bob! He's a looker, and now lives down the road with 17roses (I think that is her BYC name)

Cher - I think if he/she turns out to have the lacing then I might just put the parents back together to see if it is duplicatable. Maybe one of my hens is throwing this and not the rooster...
Good to hear about my turkey girls.. thanks!

Back
Top Bottom