what causes spay legs???

I'm a breeder too and for the time it takes to cut a bandaid in half and wrap it around two little legs and then return to the brooder, it's a no brainier.
No serious breeder is flocking splays

Its not about the time, its about genetics, yes its a no brainer.

you might fix it where they can walk and get on with life but you cannot realign the hips.

For a breeder like myself, a splay is a no brainer cull, It would be counter productive to keep /introduce a compromised chick into the flock.
Flock harm or compromise can only happen if you breed that bird in the future, remove it from the breeding pool and there is no harm to the flock and the bird can still be a producer of eggs or meat...

So too suggest no "serious breeder" is mending spraddle legs is simply utterly false...

Last edited:
No serious breeder is flocking splays

Its not about the time, its about genetics, yes its a no brainer.

you might fix it where they can walk and get on with life but you cannot realign the hips.

Do you have any literature that says that splayed leg is genetic? If so , do share.
The few that I have had have gone on to be completely normal , certainly none of these hip issues you mention.

Do you have any literature that says that splayed leg is genetic? If so , do share.

I have no doubt they can dig up some literature to support it's genetic in certain limited instances, but there is A LOT more supporting data and studies that point towards an incubation problem, nutrition problem or in many cases injury shortly after hatching and all those causes will not be passed on if bred...

Either way for anyone to suggest that no 'serious breeder' keeps and even breeds birds that have had spraddle is simply laughable, honestly... I sold exotic animals for a living, I know several 'serious' career parrot breeders and if I even suggested that if they were a 'serious breeder' they would cull a bird with spraddle they would probably fall over with stomach cramps laughing at me...

About half of the information you read about splay leg suggests genetics play a factor. It's not like there is a splay leg gene, it's more like any genetic defect of the legs can easily lead to splay legs. I'd be pretty irritated if someone sold me breeding stock that was splayed and didn't mention it. I honestly can't see why you would breed a bird with splayed legs unless you saw what caused it or were sure you miffed the incubation temps.

ETA I can see why you would let it ride with a parrot since they are either naturally incubated or partially naturally incubated and it would be hard to be sure incubation factors were consistent.

Last edited:
I guess, in my opinion, I feel it is my responsibility to see to the health and well being of anything that I hatch! BUT, I am not a breeder and do not hatch for business or income. For me it is an educational opportunity for myself and the kiddos in my classroom and to enjoy them as pets! Like everyone else, of course I would like to know what causes this or how it occurs ,but once they hatch then it is all about getting the chick healthy! Even if you choose not to use a splayed leg chicken for breeding, couldn't it be sold for eggs or a pet? I know that I had a lady that ran a chicken rescue that was also more than willing to take the chick if I did not feel I could help the chick! so many options.........but again I am not a breeder
idunno.gif

About half of the information you read about splay leg suggests genetics play a factor. It's not like there is a splay leg gene, it's more like any genetic defect of the legs can easily lead to splay legs. I'd be pretty irritated if someone sold me breeding stock that was splayed and didn't mention it. I honestly can't see why you would breed a bird with splayed legs unless you saw what caused it or were sure you miffed the incubation temps.

ETA I can see why you would let it ride with a parrot since they are either naturally incubated or partially naturally incubated and it would be hard to be sure incubation factors were consistent.

Exactly,

You two that are fussing at me don't understand I have feelings too and I want them all to be healthy, I mean they're fluffy and cute...

That said you guys have some level of emotional involvement with your birds. I'm a Farmer.

Laughable as you may think I'd never flock a splay. I have even kept them up, but only to fatten.

Yeah yall have to underatand there is no emotional attachment here.... its no different than raising up a pig or cow then killin it to eat... its reality of where food comes from... not the "i only buy meat at the stores" kinda deal... we do it for healthyness sake, we know where the meat has been, what the animals have eaten, no steroids, no additives and medications in the meat like crap you buy from the store....

I want them all to be healthy
So do you cull the parents of a splay since they are clearly the source of the genetic' flaw'? Or how about the rest of the offspring from those parents that potentially/likely carry the 'flawed' genetics? Or are you culling because of a physical injury that isn't worth your time?

Quote:
Why did you keep them up to fatten when you previously stated "a splay is a no brainer cull" clearly it's not the no brainer cull you claimed it is, is it?

Last edited:
So do you cull the parents of a splay since they are clearly the source of the genetic' flaw'? Or how about the rest of the offspring from those parents that potentially/likely carry the 'flawed' genetics? Or are you culling because of a physical injury that isn't worth your time?

You are pushing your point to no avail, I stand by what I said, NO SERIOUS breeder is breeding splays.

You cannot Cleanse the gene pool by culling the parents, not all genes are passed to every chick. do your own research, I've been keeping Cots for 40

years, My birds SHOW that I must be doing something right. Next time I pinch a splays head off, I'll think of you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom