what causes spay legs???

sniper338

Songster
9 Years
Dec 15, 2013
San Antonio, Texas
Is there a root cause or something? Anyone know? Ive had a few of em now and wondering why the come out like that... they are healthy... legs just wont stay under em...

Sometimes it can be from the incubator slippery floor, slippery brooder floor (newspaper), vitamin deficiency, fluctuating temperature in incubation, or just the way they grew in the egg.

Well its nothing to do with the floor anywhere... i know that much... i have cabinet liner in the bottom of the incubator... it has to be tempature or humidity issues... or they just grew deformed.... cuz te ones i get are like that right outta the shell.. .

Well its nothing to do with the floor anywhere... i know that much... i have cabinet liner in the bottom of the incubator... it has to be tempature or humidity issues... or they just grew deformed.... cuz te ones i get are like that right outta the shell.. .
Did you hobble your chick with splayed legs? If done within the first day or couple of days, it is usually successful in correcting the problem
smile.png
I am not sure what causes it...I have been told all of the above things, but I just think it is something with development and position in the egg...just my opinion
idunno.gif

I read more about it and how to correct it or try... but its an everyday thing to care for them and as much a i wish i could fix it, i dont have time for it. So i just get rid of any chicks that have problems

I read more about it and how to correct it or try... but its an everyday thing to care for them and as much a i wish i could fix it, i dont have time for it. So i just get rid of any chicks that have problems
I totally understand. The chick I helped took 2 weeks of consistent care and watching before she was good to go! But I hatched them in my classroom, so the baby was with me where ever I went
tongue.png
I also had the option to give the chick to a rescue that would take care of her as well, but it was a good learning experience for myself and class!

Can that happen with just 1 or 2 eggs in a hatch, yet others are fine? I had 15 others that hatched fine and healthy so no clue why it happened to one chick
sad.png

Oh and yes a better answer to your specific question, yes one or two eggs could be older and thus drier, or in a still air, in a hot spot.

Back
Top Bottom