What Chicken Breeds do you Dislike & Why?

Pics
I love the look of Welsummers, but they have never produced well for me and three of them purchased one after the other died young. No reason! Latest one is about 3; never layed well. But beautiful birds.
Never had good layers with lace wyandottes; beautiful birds. Healthy; but one gave me 1 egg in three years, and the other very low production. Although my new rooster loves my "sterile" girl!

Naked necks. What’s up with that?!

Those last 2 chickens I’d have thought were results of eggs gone terribly wrong.

I had red sex links for my first chickens and they were great. Predators got them before they were a year old so don’t know how they would have aged out. I have a mixed flock now and I’m good with everyone except the 4 leghorns. They cause a lot of flock issues- patrolling the boxes blocking others from laying which includes attacking others but then not using that box themselves - and now feather picking. Grr. Great eggs though. I’d give the breed another chance - maybe it’s just these 4 as they came from a distressed situation that maybe ruined them.
I have one lone leghorn out of 13 mixed flock; just love her, egg every day and no trouble with other chickens. She was introduced later.

I've had over 30 breeds of chickens and I really value that experience which showed me what I like about chicken breeds and don't like. That experience did lead me to appreciate a colorful egg basket.
After a lifetime of keeping chickens, I realize calm, friendly, docile breeds don't work for me. I much prefer independent, predator proof breeds that can fend for themselves. And I appreciate birds that, should the need arise, could obtain their sustenance through foraging if provided pristine pasture in good weather.
I may not be able to walk into a field and pick up a bird but I don't have birds disappear nor do I have to walk around and pick up chicken parts.
For those reasons, I wouldn't own silkies. The list of birds I would no longer own are Polish, Orpingtons, and any other overly friendly breeds or those with impaired vision, especially of an overhead view. Meat birds are particularly vulnerable so if I keep them, I tend to protect them more for the two months it takes to get them to size.
If I had 4 or 5 birds in an enclosed predator proof run, I would likely think differently.
But I usually have between 40 and 100 birds free ranging in at least 5 flocks.
I like alert, skittish birds that run like the wind, are respectful of fences so are easy keepers but can fly if pressed.
I've discovered the perfect breed (for me). Black Penedesencas. That is all I raise any more. They are the DP variety of the Pene breed and are very unique in many ways.
Unique works for me because I'm unique.
:goodpost:

For pet purposes, I doubt I'll ever go RSL again. They are actually lovely birds - though one does have a bit of a feral streak - but actually seeing the strain being a good layer has on their bodies is heartbreaking.
One pullet has already had reproductive issues and they all lay daily without rest; I just know they will burn themselves out sooner than later. Even if I know they are happy and healthy for their breed and treated much better than their egg-farm sisters, white earlobes are like grey hairs to me.
I think I'll go heritage from here on out - I'd rather slow and steady over live fast and die young.

For pet purposes, I doubt I'll ever go RSL again. They are actually lovely birds - though one does have a bit of a feral streak - but actually seeing the strain being a good layer has on their bodies is heartbreaking.
One pullet has already had reproductive issues and they all lay daily without rest; I just know they will burn themselves out sooner than later. Even if I know they are happy and healthy for their breed and treated much better than their egg-farm sisters, white earlobes are like grey hairs to me.
I think I'll go heritage from here on out - I'd rather slow and steady over live fast and die young.
I hear you! Its heartbreaking to see what "we" have done to our native breeds, all in the name of "Progress!" Have you checked out The Livestock Conservancy's website, yet? It's www.livestockconservancy.org. They maintain a Conservation Priority List of heritage breeds from all over the world, all in danger of disappearing due to our constant "improvements" of the original breeds. If you're looking to raise a heritage breed, I'm sure you can find one there that suits your needs. Some can be hard to find (they are endangered, after all) but the search is worth it. It took me nearly three years to find my Nankin Bantams, but now, I'll never have a flock without them. I LOVE my Nannies! Not only are they personable, sweet-natured, beautiful little birds, I know I'm doing my part to save something precious in our world... and it feels wonderful!

Back
Top Bottom