What Chicken Breeds do you Dislike & Why?

Pics
I tried to raise some of these giant long neck silkies one time

View attachment 1855135
.... they were kinda mean, ate too much, and out grew the coop... never again

Someone told me they’re actually called ah’streges, but I don’t care what you call em, they were the worst chickens :rolleyes:
Are these emu?

I like most breeds of chickens. That said, I can't stand Silkies. Honestly, if I wanted to mop the floor, I'd buy a mop. Why would I want a pet that mops the floor with their "feathers", then gets all dirty and gross? Speaking of feathers....One of things that appeals to me about chickens is their sleek, beautiful, shiny feathers. Silkies have none of that. They remind me of those hairy rat-dogs that people carry in their purse!

Oh... and Naked Necks. They creep me out, because they look like they have the mange (or the bird equivalent of the mange).

Good thing that they haven't invented a cross between the two......
....looks at RinaRoo's post....
... awww CRAP.

I apologize to all Silkie & Naked-neck lovers, I know I just totally dissed your breed, but I guess that was what the thread is about...dissing breeds! ;)
Ummm ... then I'm guessing you don't want a Show-Girl?
DD hates 'em, too ... won't have one in the coop, but I think they're so ugly that they're cool!
:duc

My Grandpa was telling me he used to keep fighting chickens, and how beautiful they were; when he got real sad, and said, "I hated to see them get hurt."

In all my life, that was the saddest I'd ever seen him; so I like to keep fighting chickens that never fight. I like to tame them as pets, and see them be gentle. There's nothing on earth that makes me feel more like my Grandpa's with me.
IMG_20190401_181013.jpg
IMG_20190401_181013.jpg

I loved the looks of these roosters, but they were way too mean for me!

I got the big guy to guard my hen and fertilize her eggs, for the nutrition, not chicks.

My friend wasn't spending enough time at home to feed them, so he gave me all his birds; and I REALLY like those little grays! I wanted to have them free ranging my land. The hens are so sweet and gentle, but that rooster was mean too!

I'm sure it was the way they were raised, but I couldn't get them to stop kicking me, long enough to get hatching eggs from them under my hen. Feeding and watering them was stressful, and usually ended with me bleeding.

After the big guy kicked the little gray in one eye he was easier to blind-side, but he'd still get my hands.

I tried to tame them to no avail. The last straw was when the big black boy shuffled my leg, and kicked a few big holes in my calf.

For over a week I couldn't walk right, until I stretched and walked off the pain. It made waking up to pee in the middle of a cold night, a nightmare!

They were so beautiful in my yard with their hens, and I hated taking them back home to their tiny individual cages; but I don't like mean animals, so...

They got what my Grandpa called, "An Irish promotion:"

"That is to say, they were demoted."

IMG_20190417_092639.jpg
IMG_20190417_092639.jpg

The upload function isn't working right. It keeps double posting pictures, and bumping pics I'm trying to post, with the doubles.

Here's the gray I mentioned in my last post. It got bumped by a site sponsored double posted pic.View attachment 1856088
That sucks they didn't work out, they are very beautiful!
Your Grandpa was funny. I'll be remembering that little saying. ;)
Thanks for sharing about him, and the chickens.

My Grandpa was telling me he used to keep fighting chickens, and how beautiful they were; when he got real sad, and said, "I hated to see them get hurt."

In all my life, that was the saddest I'd ever seen him; so I like to keep fighting chickens that never fight. I like to tame them as pets, and see them be gentle. There's nothing on earth that makes me feel more like my Grandpa's with me.View attachment 1856086 View attachment 1856086

I loved the looks of these roosters, but they were way too mean for me!

I got the big guy to guard my hen and fertilize her eggs, for the nutrition, not chicks.

My friend wasn't spending enough time at home to feed them, so he gave me all his birds; and I REALLY like those little grays! I wanted to have them free ranging my land. The hens are so sweet and gentle, but that rooster was mean too!

I'm sure it was the way they were raised, but I couldn't get them to stop kicking me, long enough to get hatching eggs from them under my hen. Feeding and watering them was stressful, and usually ended with me bleeding.

After the big guy kicked the little gray in one eye he was easier to blind-side, but he'd still get my hands.

I tried to tame them to no avail. The last straw was when the big black boy shuffled my leg, and kicked a few big holes in my calf.

For over a week I couldn't walk right, until I stretched and walked off the pain. It made waking up to pee in the middle of a cold night, a nightmare!

They were so beautiful in my yard with their hens, and I hated taking them back home to their tiny individual cages; but I don't like mean animals, so...

"That is to say, they were demoted."

View attachment 1856057 View attachment 1856057

The upload function isn't working right. It keeps double posting pictures, and bumping pics I'm trying to post, with the doubles.
That's a sweet story, thank you for sharing it. :) Your birds are beautiful.

Aole' pilikia Trimurtisan, thanks for you appreciation of my birds and my Grandpa.

Ya gotta remember... When you talk about an Irish promotion, ya say it with an Irish accent.
Mahalo Alo.
Irish accent, noted! :D
Was your Kupuna Irish?
A hui hou
(sorry if I messed that up. I love listening to native Hawaiians)

Last edited:
I’ve never been a fan of Rhode Island Reds or Plymouth Rocks as they seem overly common. I’m not a fan of Polish, I do like crested birds but the Polish crest is just too big for my liking. I don’t like the fifth toe on chickens. I don’t know why I just don’t like the look of the fifth toe. :confused: What breeds or chicken characteristics do you guys dislike?

I LOVE my PBRs! They may be common but they sure are sweet girls. Here's by PBR hen with her three 5 toed, feathered legged chicks she just hatched last night. She's not the biological mother of any of them, she just did all the hard work!
2CAA8E144C7F_1564062729550.png
IMG_20190725_075129242.jpg

Here's Dad.
IMG_20190708_074352603_HDR.jpg

Who I don't care for? My SS, Delaware and one of my olive eggers. The SS is a PIA and lays puny eggs, the Delaware sounds like a dragon and had a disposition to match and the olive egger has had multiple issues with shell-less eggs. I think she is defective and will ultimately succumb to reproductive failure.

Back
Top Bottom