What color combination you need to get Bantam Cochin Mottled?

arianna

Songster
12 Years
Sep 8, 2010
North Carolina
I understand that to get a splash you need a black hen/rooster to a blue rooster/hen (I might be wrong), But what is the color combination you need to get a mottled? Or do you get mottled chicks out of a mottled hen and mottled rooster? Also is there a black and white splash in the Bantam Cochins?
I sold today some chicks to someone, who showed me a photos with two bantam cochins adults he bought last year from McMurray as chicks. They were white with black stripes, absolutely GORGEOUS, but I've never heard of black and white cochin splash (they were definitely not mottled).

Found this online

* Mottled (recessive)
eg Black/Black Mottled, Blue/Blue Mottled, Lavender/Lavender Mottled, Millefleur/Buff Columbian

Solid + Solid = All solids
Solid + Mottled = 100% solids, all carrying mottled
Solid (carrying Mottled) + Solid = all solid, 50% carrying mottled
Solid (carrying Mottled) + Solid (carrying Mottled) = 75% solids [50% carrying mottled, 25% pure solids], 25% mottled
Solid (carrying Mottled) + Mottled = 50% solids [all carrying mottled], 50% mottled
Mottled + Mottled = 100% Mottled

-----------------------------------------------

I definately would post this question on the cochin thread, it's huge and there are so many knowlegable people on there. They are amazing
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Blue works a little different than many other genes. If you have one gene for it, it dilutes black to blue. If you have two genes for it, it dilutes black to very pale grey to white in appearance, with variable darker grey flecks (splash). So you can't have a black splash, as the blue gene always dilutes the black.

Mottled is a typical recessive gene that only works if you have two copies; so you see it or don't see it depending on if you have two copies or not. However you can have carriers with one copy that do not look mottled, but can pass it on.

So to get mottled both parents have to carry the gene for mottled.

Hope that helps !

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom