What color eggs would these breeds make?

TheHappyHen21

Chirping
Sep 14, 2015
Russell, Ny
Im getting Olive Eggers, I already have Black Jersey Giants. Im thinking about getting a few Marans also. If I crossed a Black jersey Giant(Brown Egg Layer) With a Maran(Purple color). Will I still get dark eggs?

Short answer, the color will probably be in between the two. Exactly where in between could easily vary with each individual pullet you get.

Instead of giving you a long detailed answer, I’ll just say occasionally you get some surprises. Egg shell color and shade can get pretty complicated.

Short answer, the color will probably be in between the two. Exactly where in between could easily vary with each individual pullet you get.

Instead of giving you a long detailed answer, I’ll just say occasionally you get some surprises. Egg shell color and shade can get pretty complicated.

good answer, im looking into hoping they give me a darker normal then brown egg. :)

X2 on Ridgerunner's post. I would expect a shade of brown somewhere between the brown shade of the two parent breed's eggs.

X2 on Ridgerunner's post. I would expect a shade of brown somewhere between the brown shade of the two parent breed's eggs.

well the marans usually have the dark purple egg is what im looking to add in my flock, like I said im getting Olive egger chicks, and I have jersey giants. I am going to be keeping the oliver eggers separate then my JG, each with there own Roo. thinking of putting a few marans in with the JG.

well the marans usually have the dark purple egg is what im looking to add in my flock, like I said im getting Olive egger chicks, and I have jersey giants. I am going to be keeping the oliver eggers separate then my JG, each with there own Roo. thinking of putting a few marans in with the JG.

The eggs of pure Marans are actually typically a very dark brown, often referred to in the industry as "chocolate eggs."

Back
Top Bottom