What color is this Ameraucana? Or is it one?

BlazinJRanch

Chirping
Oct 23, 2018
B95FA7AF-AEEA-4CFB-8861-7DA81C43642B.jpeg
i call this 10 week old Tony Hawk cause she looked like a hawk. Very very shy bird.

She has puffy cheeks

Yes, easter eggers can have muffs. Ameraucanas only come in certain accepted colors, and this bird's not one of them. Easter eggers meanwhile are just mixed breed birds that usually have muffs and a pea comb and usually lay blue or green eggs, and can be any color.

Darn. Another one from my rare breed assortment. Guess I’ll call the hatchery tomorrow and ask why all the mutts. Thanks for looking.

Hatcheries in general aren't great with providing good examples of the breeds they carry. If you want some nice quality birds that are good representatives of their breed, you should find a breeder to buy from :)

What hatchery did you use, out of curiosity?

I bought the rare breed selection from Murray McMurray online. Got 26 for 68 bucks plus shots a good price overall. I’ll post what their response to my question “Does this package include EE’s as well as rare (not mixed) breeds.”

Ok here is the response regarding Easter Egger and The McMurray rare breed assortment. “Not usually, they could be our Whiting True Blues. They can look alot like the Easter Eggars. ”

They also said I can share pics via email to them for validation to [email protected]

Thanks everyone for your input and I’ll update my breed pics when I know what they are.

Hoping she's a Whiting True Blue, instead of EE, for your sake. :)

Mutts, perhaps....but I find Easter Eggers to be a lovely "breed" (I understand it's not technically a breed, but since those from hatcheries quite often sport characteristics in common - ie., pea comb, muffs/beard, green legs - they're at least somewhat consistent in my mind rather than random mixes of everything) worth valuing.

~Alex

Back
Top Bottom