What colour eggs should our 'Copper Blue Maran / Cream LegBar cross' actually lay ??

One Welsummer egg plus CLB 'Lexi' egg - pic doesn't quite show the tint but it's definitely not a blue or green hue. Lol.

Attachments

• IMG_20200214_165510.jpg
    IMG_20200214_165510.jpg
    965.3 KB · Views: 7
So would we but for the fact there was only the Welsummer already laying at that time, so when these smaller creamy pink eggs appeared Lexi was the only other over POL (others 12 & 14wks) :confused:
One Welsummer egg plus CLB 'Lexi' egg - pic doesn't quite show the tint but it's definitely not a blue or green hue. Lol.
Very Odd...that a bird that looks so much like a CLB could have a BR override the blue shell genes. But I don't know that much about genetics.

Fascinating how the cross-breeding produces certain changes though ! Her breeder called her a 'Needwood Cream LegBar' presumably after the village they're situated in, but were adamant she 'should' lay blue tinted eggs.
When looking for LegBar pics to compare her with, there was an article online linked to a CLB pic which said that when the CLB breed first came to the UK there was some cross breeding (not sure with what) which resulted in a 'Fenton Legbar' - pics also look uncannily like Lexi but apparently the 'Fenton' didn't lay the blue, but produced a creamy almost pink tinted egg ?
No mention of the 'Fenton' for decades so maybe a made up story ?? Or......Lexi is a throwback to that bird ?
Whatever Lexi may or may not be she's a gorgeous really friendly character that our kids love to feed from their hands & just have sit on their knee 🐔

Fascinating how the cross-breeding produces certain changes though ! Her breeder called her a 'Needwood Cream LegBar' presumably after the village they're situated in, but were adamant she 'should' lay blue tinted eggs.
When looking for LegBar pics to compare her with, there was an article online linked to a CLB pic which said that when the CLB breed first came to the UK there was some cross breeding (not sure with what) which resulted in a 'Fenton Legbar' - pics also look uncannily like Lexi but apparently the 'Fenton' didn't lay the blue, but produced a creamy almost pink tinted egg ?
No mention of the 'Fenton' for decades so maybe a made up story ?? Or......Lexi is a throwback to that bird ?
Whatever Lexi may or may not be she's a gorgeous really friendly character that our kids love to feed from their hands & just have sit on their knee 🐔
I wondered if it might be something like that, good sleuthing and thanks for sharing.
There's big long Legbar thread here somewhere, might find an answer there...but I couldn't find thread with quick search..

I am not sure she is “pure”.

I thought the leg color might be off.

I am guessing someone “put” something in her lineage to enhance a trait. Sometimes Show people do that.. :oops:

I might have done that once or twice myself,,,, maybe.:fl

A few years ago I was forced to “tinker” with my Chanticlers. I had a great Pullet. She had taken Best of breed at a large show.

The next morning when I checked on her she had laid her first egg.... green/olive.

I asked a friend what I should do, he said toss the egg and say nothing.

@erlibrd owns her as I didn’t want the egg color coming back in future generations. She is Erlibrd’s favorite bird, a beautiful olive egg laying Chanticler. She even named her princess, because she loves her so much.

The point of this story is a bird does not always reveal its heritage by looks alone. Even Judges can be fooled. We have SOPs and not pedigrees. So a bird is what she looks like, unless egg color gives them away..

The OP’s bird, no offense meant here, is not a show quality bird, so I would keep her and never hatch an egg from her, unless she has attitude problem. You might love her as much as Erlibrd loves Princess.. :lau:lau:lau:gig

Back
Top Bottom