What colour is this silkie chick?

rosetinted

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 20, 2009
England
Posted this in the wrong section before, sorry!!

...This little sweetie popped out from my black silkie eggs, any idea what colour it could be?
smile.png

IMG_8991-1.jpg

Buff with some darks that we call smut but it usually molts out. Cute chick! My Splash chicks have all appeared to be light gray with no other color until the darks show up around 6-8 weeks.

Last edited:
My buffs are a deeper yellow--looks more like a splash to me, but it does seem to have too much yellow and not enough silvery down to be a typical splash chick. Rosetinted, you said this came from your blacks? Are all the birds in that pen blacks? How long since any other roosters have had access to the girls? What other colour roosters could possibly have hopped the fence? Any chance that any of your black girls is really a dark blue?

Another possibility is recessive white, carrying silver gene and not carrying genes for white down.

Last edited:
Still learning here, but I have seen a lot of lavender colored chicks like this. Is it any possibility? Is lavender a dilute color of anything being discussed here?
Like I said, still learning. I think you need years of experience or a college degree in genetics to understand all of the color nuances.

Back
Top Bottom