What colour is this?

chicky-little

Songster
8 Years
Jun 6, 2015
BC
I bought eggs listed as lavender cuckoo and isabel orpingtons last year. I'm wondering if that's what the hens are. They just seem so dark in comparison to the roo and the breeder, who supposedly had stock from reputable breeders seemed less than reputable herself (as I found out later)
20230226_133826.jpg

lavender cuckoo
Would be lavender with white barring. (as seen on your rooster)

Those barred/cuckoo birds *may* be split to lav.. aka carrying it hidden (only one copy of the lav gene).. but they are certainly not Lav cuckoo. You can breed them to otrher lav birds to test mate them IF desired. If carrying Lav will throw lav offspring when bred to lav.

The isabel roo is cuckoo (that's pretty!).. the hen.. looks just isabel, no cuckoo (from what I can see).. the sire should pass his barring to all his offspring.

Working with project colors can be quite the challenge.. also keeping them separate.. and also keeping all the genetic information straight.

Lovely birds. :love

Would be lavender with white barring. (as seen on your rooster)

Those barred/cuckoo birds *may* be split to lav.. aka carrying it hidden (only one copy of the lav gene).. but they are certainly not Lav cuckoo. You can breed them to otrher lav birds to test mate them IF desired. If carrying Lav will throw lav offspring when bred to lav.

The isabel roo is cuckoo (that's pretty!).. the hen.. looks just isabel, no cuckoo (from what I can see).. the sire should pass his barring to all his offspring.

Working with project colors can be quite the challenge.. also keeping them separate.. and also keeping all the genetic information straight.

Lovely birds. :love
Any idea what in the heck colour they are? I'm struggling to figure it out. Blue barred?
I have been hatching out either lavender or isabel chicks as well as black/black barred. I have a few roosters and haven't split my pen yet, so all of the lavender could just be isabel. These are new colouations for me. I previously had BBS and chocolate and had the genetics down pat, but I'm still trying to figure all this out. I really wanted BBS again, but for some reason they are impossible to find in my area. I'd have to travel 6+ hours away to find what I'm looking for. So I have to decide if I'm doing that and starting fresh or if I can figure out what I have and make it work.

Back
Top Bottom