What Colour Should I Get?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Fur-N-Fowl, Jun 16, 2019.

1. Fur-N-Fowl

Fur-N-Fowl Songster

May 25, 2019
    UK
    Anyone got any idea what a porcelain x white would create?

And what a Silver partridge x white would create? :)

2. msiler

msiler Songster

Nov 26, 2018
    Ok short answer!

White x Porcelain will get Partridge birds who carry white and lavender. You can get Lavender is you cross a Partridge rooster from the resulting chicks back to his mom, the porcelain. It would be a 50% chance of lavender.
    The partridge themselves from this cross would also be based on if your rooster was a gold or silver partridge underneath.

White x Silver Partridge would depend on if your rooster is either a Silver Partridge or a Gold Partridge underneath the white coloring.
    If he was a Silver Partridge, the chicks would be 100% Silver Partridge that carry the white gene.
    If he was a Gold Partridge, the chicks would be sex-linked, hens would be Gold Partridge and roosters would be Silver Partridge with gold leakage.

The reason is that technically, hens only have one copy of the silver gene, which they can only get from their father. It doesn't matter if their mom is silver, they can't get it from them. Roosters have the normal two spots for the silver gene and get it from both parents. In the second crossing, dad would pass on Gold and mom would pass on silver. Silver is dominant, so the boys would be silver partridge, but have a yellowish tint which is due to dad's gold gene that was passed on. The girls, because mom can't pass on her silver gene to them, would be Gold Partridge.
    If you are confused, just look up the gold/silver sex linked characteristic. Lots of things will come up! :)

3. Fur-N-Fowl

Fur-N-Fowl Songster

May 25, 2019
    UK
    Wow Thankyou!

That's really cleared it up for me and made it pretty simple for me to understand. I find genetics so difficult at times I end up confusing myself haha.

I really hope I can still get the lavender as it's what I have my heart set on but if that doesn't go to plan, I will probably get the silver partridge or another white.

4. DuckWhisperer06

DuckWhisperer06 Songster

Mar 17, 2019
    South of DFW
    If it’s too hard to decide, just get one of each! :gig

msiler likes this.
  5. Fur-N-Fowl

Fur-N-Fowl Songster

May 25, 2019
    UK
    Haha don't tempt me! :lau

If I could I would, all the colours are so nice it's a difficult choice.

msiler likes this.
  6. msiler

msiler Songster

Nov 26, 2018
    No problem!! I personally find it hard to understand all the genetic talk with specific genes and stuff, so I'm glad I could help!

Fur-N-Fowl likes this.
  7. Gilded Feather

Gilded Feather Songster

May 21, 2019
    KY-WV line
    I second going with lavender. :drool Wish I could have got my hands on some when I was ordering chicks.

msiler likes this.
  8. Fur-N-Fowl

Fur-N-Fowl Songster

May 25, 2019
    UK
    Awesome, well if I manage to get one I will be sure to post her her! :D

msiler likes this.
  9. Fur-N-Fowl

Fur-N-Fowl Songster

May 25, 2019
    UK
    So...I GOT THEM! :D

I went to get 2 but somehow ended up with 3...not sure how that happened :confused:

I did get a lavender but I decided on a younger one. I believe she is about just under 4 months. She is so small and I have no idea how she'll develop but she melted my heart first. Plus she was the smallest. There was some with lighter crests but I liked the darker lavender.

I also got a bearded white! After a bath and time spent in a non mud clogged coop will bring her up lovely.

And then the extra one that 'somehow' hopped into my bag was a little partridge. There was a nicer one than the one i got but it's 5th toe was deformed due to an accident so she would have no potential at a show. However, the one I got seems pretty decent!

All of the feathers on their legs are damaged/fallen off due to recent weather. The coops the breeder had them in unfortunately got mucky and well, so did the birds. However, after a wash they'll come back fine :D

I'll post photos soon!

msiler likes this.
  10. msiler

msiler Songster

Nov 26, 2018
    Yay! I am so excited for you! I bet they will turn out lovely with some TLC.
    Don't worry about that extra partridge... happens to all of us ;) I once only wanted 7 silkies but came home with 11! :oops:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: