What could his mix be?

Widgie79

Hatching
Mar 25, 2024
I think my newly adopted Roo boy is mixed because of the brown patches and mixed colored tail. What is he most likely...barred rock and...?

Attachments

• IMG_20240218_120616438.jpg
    IMG_20240218_120616438.jpg
    760.9 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20240218_120531933_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240218_120531933_HDR.jpg
    899.2 KB · Views: 12
Hmmm. Interesting. My barred rock roo doesn’t have those brown spots but does get an occasional green/black or white tail feather. He does get dirty from rolling in the dirt for dust baths.

I think my newly adopted Roo boy is mixed because of the brown patches and mixed colored tail. What is he most likely...barred rock and...?
He might be part Rhode Island Red.

Black Sexlinks are usually a cross of Rhode Island Red rooster with Barred Rock hen, and the males look quite a bit like the rooster you have. So he could be a Black Sexlink rooster.

Or he could be a mix from someone's backyard flock. A Barred Rock mix (Black Sexlink or other) could have been bred back to a Barred Rock, to make chicks that look even more like Barred Rocks but still aren't quite right (those red/brown bits in the feathers.)

When I suggest Rhode Island Red as the mix, I am thinking of what mixes are how common. There are many other breeds that could also be involved. A Brown Leghorn or a Welsummer bred to a Barred Rock could work just as well, or a Bielefelder, or many other options.

Back
Top Bottom