What colors can I expect?

PrairiePeckers

Chirping
Mar 15, 2024
I have a Rhode Island Roo with Smokey Pearl hens. Has anyone bred the mix? If so what was the color produced? I have 9 eggs in incubator and 19 under a broody hen! Just curious as what I can expect with mix.

I have a Rhode Island Roo with Smokey Pearl hens. Has anyone bred the mix? If so what was the color produced? I have 9 eggs in incubator and 19 under a broody hen! Just curious as what I can expect with mix.
What do Smoky Pearl hens look like? Do you have a photo or a link?

First photos are the outcome of the RIR roo x Smokey Pearl hen. The two red I believe are two hatched from eggs my RIR hen she took in.
I have no idea where the black/white and painted chick came from. Assuming from Smokey Pearl.
Not much out there I can find on the Smokey Pearls.

Attachments

• IMG_4446.jpeg
    IMG_4446.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 6
Not much out there I can find on the Smokey Pearls.
Can you post a picture of a Smokey Pearl hen? I'm still trying to figure out what color she is (genetically speaking), so I can tell if the prediction of sexlinked chicks (made by a previous poster) is likely to be correct.

I agree there's not much information out there on Smoky Pearls-- that's another reason I'm curious to see a picture of what yours looks like :)

I thought the pics uploaded last night. This is the Smokey Pearl.

Attachments

• IMG_4493.jpeg
    IMG_4493.jpeg
    532.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4517.jpeg
    IMG_4517.jpeg
    570 KB · Views: 6
Can you post a picture of a Smokey Pearl hen? I'm still trying to figure out what color she is (genetically speaking), so I can tell if the prediction of sexlinked chicks (made by a previous poster) is likely to be correct.

I agree there's not much information out there on Smoky Pearls-- that's another reason I'm curious to see a picture of what yours looks like :)

I thought the pics uploaded last night. This is the Smokey Pearl.
Pretty hen!

Is she a bit dirty, or the brown on her neck part of the natural color of her feathers?

Either way, from what I can see, I think she has the genes to produce white chicks with most roosters, probably with some black bits on the chicks as well (paint).

You can’t tell much from photo but she has small flecks of black.
Then I think that explains the black chick. The hen probably has the genes to be black all over, with one copy of the Dominant White gene (turns black into white, but misses a few bits.)

So she would give the genes for black-all-over to every chick.

She would give Dominant White to half of her chicks (turning them white with bits of black), and not to the other half (so they look black all over.)

The grayish one is a bit puzzling. I wonder if the hen also has the blue gene? If she did, it would not really be obvious, because blue turns black into a gray shade, but then Dominant White turns it all white anyway.

Pretty hen!

Is she a bit dirty, or the brown on her neck part of the natural color of her feathers?

Either way, from what I can see, I think she has the genes to produce white chicks with most roosters, probably with some black bits on the chicks as well (paint).

Then I think that explains the black chick. The hen probably has the genes to be black all over, with one copy of the Dominant White gene (turns black into white, but misses a few bits.)

So she would give the genes for black-all-over to every chick.

She would give Dominant White to half of her chicks (turning them white with bits of black), and not to the other half (so they look black all over.)

The grayish one is a bit puzzling. I wonder if the hen also has the blue gene? If she did, it would not really be obvious, because blue turns black into a gray shade, but then Dominant White turns it all white anyway.
She has a natural yellow tint that makes her look dirty in places. The grey one has me puzzled. The black one is beginning to turn a mahogany on its wings. Because the SP hen adopted a few of my RIRxRIR eggs I’m curious if one of theirs? I know extremely little about genetics. Learning more everyday. Thanks for responding!

Back
Top Bottom