what could this possibly be?

savnnah07

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 10, 2013
Hello all!

I bought several bitties in February and ended up with 3 out of 6 being roos and one other one died so I am down to the last 2. One is a Buff Orpington Hen, but I am unsure of what the other is. I was told she was a Delaware, but she has way more color on her than any Delaware pictures I have looked at. Ideas would be lovely. thanks!

Your right, she does have way more coloring than any Delaware I have ever seen. This is what most Delaware's look like, yours is probably a cross breed. How old is she? Maybe she is actually a he? Feathers are always changing. I once had an all dark brown chicken, and over time, she changed into a colorful chicken with all sorts of browns and blacks. If you tell me her age, I can give you more advice.

Your right, she does have way more coloring than any Delaware I have ever seen. This is what most Delaware's look like, yours is probably a cross breed. How old is she? Maybe she is actually a he? Feathers are always changing. I once had an all dark brown chicken, and over time, she changed into a colorful chicken with all sorts of browns and blacks. If you tell me her age, I can give you more advice.

I bought them on February 20th this year and the whole group was 2 days old. So she is about 4 months old. I am praying she isn't a he because I have already lost 3 because of that! The roos that I already got rid of already had prominent saddle feathers and had been crowing for a good month or so, therefore I am thinking that Della (what I have been calling her/it) is a she. I think she is absolutely beautiful though and has the best personality, very friendly and inquisitive just like my buff ladies.

Well she defidently looks like a pretty girl! Her coloring is throwing me off. She might be a cross between a Delaware and something else. Whatever she is, she is gorgeous! I have a few Easter Eggers with that type of coloring...

Last edited:
Well she defidently looks like a pretty girl! Her coloring is throwing me off. She might be a cross between a Delaware and something else. Whatever she is, she is gorgeous! I have a few Easter Eggers with that type of coloring...
Thanks! I think she is the neatest looking chicken, plus her personality makes her lovely. I hadn't even thought about an easter egger, but looking at some pictures her coloring does resemble one...the only thing she is lacking is the "fluffy ears". I guess we will see in a couple of months what color eggs she lays and maybe I will have more of an idea
big_smile.png

Any closer pics of the comb?
no, I couldn't get in the pen because I have a Great Dane who won't leave me alone long enough to accomplish anything and I was trying to snap some quick pictures this morning. her comb isn't super red and isn't very prominent at all. I just got rid of my last Australorp Roo and he had a huge comb with big floppy waddles and this one's comb looks nothing like his.

Does it look like a straight, or regular comb, or does it look like a pea comb (or some other variety)? That would help in determining breed.

Also, the leg color isn't like those pictures I see of Delawares.
I really don't know what kind of comb she has (I am somewhat new to different breeds of chickens) but it is a small comb, with several bumps. It isn't very prominent. and I just looked up another pic of a Delaware and you are right! There legs are yellow, hers are almost blue...maybe she is an easter egger?

Back
Top Bottom